𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲

a/n note!!: there might be typos i'll proofread later. pls ignore for now. this chapter also includes suicide. ik i already put a disclaimer at the start of the book but just in case.

Sunshine woke up on his fifteenth birthday elated. He couldn't wait to celebrate his day with his mother like they did every year.

He got out of bed but didn't smell the freshly baked breakfast she normally made him for his birthday. Maybe his nose wasn't working to its full capacity. He made his way into his bathroom and freshened up before putting on his birthday outfit.

He checked his phone for any happy birthday messages but frowned at seeing there were none. He silently chuckled to himself, "Why'd you think there'd be someone? You don't have friends and your relatives don't know about you." He told himself in his head. He then put his phone down on his bed and headed out of the room.

"Strange," He thought after not seeing anything in the kitchen. No decorations, no breakfast, no mother. "Mom!" He shouted as he walked behind the small circular table his mother and he often ate at together.

"Mom!" He shouted again, a bit louder after not getting a response. He furrowed his eyebrows after still not hearing anything. He walked into his mother's room nowhere near ready to witness what he did.

He felt his hands started to shake as he started to hyperventilate. Hot tears started to stream out of his eyes as he stood frozen in shock. As much as he wanted to look away he couldn't.

His eyes went up and down slowly. He looked down at the puddle of blood on the ground and then up at the rope tied around his mother's neck that drained all of the color out of her face.

He felt his legs give up on him and he held onto her dresser for support but it did nothing and he ended up falling to his knees as a yellow birthday card fell in front of him. He opened it tenderly and struggled to read it.

Happy birthday to the best son a mom could ask for!
...
Happy birthday, Sunshine! I love you so much don't you ever forget that. Even though I'm not here to tell you this anymore I hope you'll believe it. I hope you find happiness in this world without me.

Sincerely, your mother

"No...," He refused, his voice lower than a whisper. He had just processed what happened. "No! NO! WHY?!" He roared as he hit the floor repeatedly. "YOU LIED! YOU SAID YOU'D NEVER LEAVE ME!" He yelled furiously at the lifeless body. "YOU'RE ALL THAT I HAVE! WHY?!"

Why had his mother done this to him? Nobody knew. Maybe she was ashamed of herself and him. She had never told her parents or friends about him even after giving birth. She left her hometown for a more rural area and lived there, cutting off all contact with the ones close to her. Even his dad.

Sunshine and her were like two peas in a pod. They did everything together. She promised that she'd never leave him. She promised that she'd always be there for him but now Sunshine sat at a dull gravestone as tears rolled down his cheeks that resembled his mother's, just as puffy and pinch-able.

He had a bouquet in his hands and solemnly placed them on the ground. "You always liked sunflowers so I brought you some," He smiled bitterly. "You'd always say they reminded you of me. I don't see the resemblance," He joked, a small and short laugh coming out of his mouth.

"I found a way to not end up in an adoption center. Not like they'd want to take in a kid as old as me. Wish I didn't have to go to school though," He told her. "Hey, I know I never told you this and I probably should've but I was scared. The principal is a total weirdo. I don't trust him at all. Everyone at that school scares me. Ever since I started noticing weird things I've been hearing voices. I know I sound like I'm going crazy but I'm not lying," He confessed.

"You're not going crazy," He heard that same voice say. He ignored it but decided to leave. "I'm gonna go now. I love and miss you so much. But I hate that this is how I'll have to remember my birthday for the rest of my life," He spoke before leaving the graveyard.

Sunshine sat in his second period, scribbling in his sketchbook. It had been two weeks since his mother's passing. He was barely holding up. He had no food at home and had to steal from the other students and staff. He didn't want to but he had no choice. He was not going to an adoption center.

He was still extremely traumatized. How couldn't he be? The only thing that made him feel slightly better was drawing. He had enjoyed making art for years but he had never drawn this much before. He already had 14 drawn sunflowers and was currently working on his 15th.

He had just finished sketching the last petal when the teacher called him up to their desk. He put all of his stuff away and went up to them. "Go to the principal's office," Is all they said. He obliged, taking his belongings with him.

...

"Sir?" He asked upon entering the room. "I heard about your mother. You must feel horrible," The man tenderly stated. "H-how do you know? I didn't tell anyone!" The teen started to freak out.

"I bet you miss her, don't you?" The man ignored his question. "Y-yeah... are you gonna tell anyone that I'm living alone?" Sunshine asked.

" Don't worry, I won't tell anyone," The principal smirked with no effort to hide it. "Why, w-what?" The smaller male stuttered, a sudden wave of fear flashing over him.

The man pulled a rope out from under his desk. Sunshine's face drained of all its color. "I'll give you a one-way ticket to see her," He smiled like a maniac as he walked towards the boy. "What? N-no, no!" Sunshine protested as he backed himself into a corner. The man continued to head towards him until he was trapped, no way to escape.

Before Sunshine could react, he felt a hard strike against his cheek, his face now in terrible pain.

"I know about your little plan, Kim. You wanted to figure out what's up with me, right? Well, guess what, you can find out in hell!" And with that, he strangled the young teen with the rope.

That's how he died.