Chapter 32

The hearing was in Eternalia, in the Tribunal Hall. A blue banner flew from the dome, just like it had the first time Annabeth took Percy there. But this time it was for him.

Percy sat next to Athena on a raised platform facing the twelve empty thrones of the Councillors. Behind him sat Poseidon and Sally, Kym, Leo, Sir Asteros, Magnate Frederick, and Apollo. Everyone involved with the Quintessence incident. The rest of the enormous room was empty. The proceedings were closed to the public, a rare procedure for a tribunal. But Athena explained that anything involving Quintessence had to be kept top secret.

Each throne had a name carved across the top. Vesta's was a simple orange chair inlaid with amber. Ceres's was made of earth-colored wood, with the armrests being golden sheafs of wheat and the purple velvet cushions inlaid with sapphire. Mars's was made of black stone, with the armrests shaped like charging boars with carnelian for eyes. The rest were names he'd never heard: Jupiter, Juno, Neptune, Diana, Minerva, Pluto, Mercury, Venus, Vulcan. 

A mere two hours had passed since the moment Percy showed Sir Asteros the glowing bottle, but it felt like everything had changed. Foxfire was evacuated - a first in its three-thousand-year history. A special task force moved the Quintessence to an undisclosed location. Now he sat in the capital city on trial for violating a major law. Mars was probably salivating over the chance to convict him.

Percy sat up straight as a dozen goblins marched into the room and stationed themselves in front of the thrones. He remembered them from Lumenaria, but he'd forgotten how huge they were.

"Bodyguards for the Councillors," Athena explained.

His eyes focused on the strange swordlike weapons swung through their belts, and he couldn't help wondering what the Councillors needed protection from. Everyone was always saying how safe their world was.

A loud fanfare blasted through the room, and everyone rose as the Councillors appeared in front of their thrones. Dripping in jewels, draped in gleaming capes, and crowned with circlets, they made human royalty look like amuteurs.

"Please be seated," announced a female Councillor with pale skin and light brown hair tied in a neat braid. The word JUNO was written in the same tanzanite as her eyes on the back of a malachite peacock. "Thank you for coming on such short notice. We shall begin with you, Mr Jackson."

He stood and tried to bow. Vesta moved to Percy's side, placing one hand on his shoulder and holding his hand with the other.

"Answer my questions honestly and there will be no problem," Juno warned.

Percy nodded.

"Where did you learn of the existence and location of Elementine?"

"I don't know." He was proud of his voice for not trembling.

Juno glanced at Vesta. She nodded.

"What made you look for it?"

"My Universe homework."

Sir Asteros coughed behind him, like he was unhappy with the answer.

"What was it about your homework that made you think of it?"

"Honestly? It just sounded right."

Vesta nodded. Percy understood what was going on. She was reading his emotions like a living lie detector.

"Have you any idea what to use Quintessence for?" Juno asked. "Consider your answer carefully, Mr Jackson. This is crucial."

Percy racked his brain. There was something there. An idea so fuzzy he couldn't make sense of it. "I don't know."