Chapter 31

"Now you're calling me at home and dragging me out of bed?" Apollo whined as he leaped into Moonglade. He studied the blackish-purple blisters on Percy's hands. "How did you do that?"

"I was just trying to bottle the light from Elementine?"

"Elementine?" He pulled a small pot from his satchel and spread a thick green salve over the burns. "Never heard of it."

"Told you it wasn't real," Leo said.

"But I found it," he insisted as Apollo sprinkled purple powder on top of the salve. "The scope got really hot when I flipped the latch, and it burned me."

Apollo wrapped his hands with thick blue cloth. "I've never heard of that happening. It's always an adventure with you, Percy."

The annoying part was that he couldn't argue. Why did weird things keep happening to him?

"Is that helping the pain?" Apollo asked.

"Yes."

"Good." He poured a bottle of Youth over the cloth, soaking it through. "Did you bottle the light?"

"I don't know." In all the chaos he hadn't bothered to look.

"I'll check." Leo ran over to the scope, which was still where Percy had dropped it. "There's something in it, but it's weird."

"Don't touch it," Apollo ordered. "I don't need another patient."

"Sorry I woke you."

"Eh. It gives me a good story to tell my wife."

"Wife?"

"Nike Solace. Maybe you've heard of her?"

Percy nodded as Apollo unwrapped his hands. The blisters were gone, but the skin was red and raw. He stroked his chin. "That should'be worked better."

"It doesn't hurt anymore.""That's because the salve numbs you. I'm going to have to make a stronger balm. Wait right here."

He nodded miserably. Where would he go?

Apollo glittered away, and Leo plopped beside him.

"You don't have to wait for me."

"Like I would leave you in the middle of nowhere at night, injured. What kind of friend do you think I am?"

"But you must be cold."

"Nope. I can regulate my body temperature. See?" He touched Percy's cheek, and he was surprised at how warm his skin was. "Want me to teach you how to do it tomorrow?"

"I can't. I'm going to Annabeth's."

"Ugh. Another day at the palace. Be sure to wear your crown."

"Are you ever going to stop that?"

"Doesn't look like it."

"She's my friend. I wish you could be a little nicer about it."

"Hey, I hold a lot back."

Percy laughed. "Somehow I doubt that."

Leo ripped a handful of grass and tossed it away. "You just like seeing Owl Head. Please don't tell me you have some stupid crush on her."

"Of course not." He was grateful for the darkness obscuring his blush.

Leo ripped more grass by the roots. "Then what is it? Why do you like her?"

"She's the one who found me." As soon as the words left his mouth, he realized his slip.

"That's a story you haven't told me."