A Happy Little Accident (James)

Pacing back and forth in your bathroom you took deep breaths. You kept eyeing the facedown test on the counter. These next 5 minutes seemed to last forever. You were nearly startled out of your skin when the alarm you had set went off. You shut it off and took a final deep breath before picking up the test and looking at it.

There as clear as day was your answer....

Pregnant

The thought alone terrified you, but it more importantly terrified you because you didn't know how your boyfriend James would react. You worked as a High School English teacher and he worked as a mechanic, could you even afford a baby?

You knew your thoughts were stressing you out and knew that that was not good for the baby. You took a few more deep breaths to help calm your nerves. You put the pregnancy test in your pocket before discarding the packaging in the trash.

You left your bathroom only to be greeted by James just getting home from work who was already grabbing a beer from the fridge. He looked up at you and smiled, "hey baby, wanna beer?" He asks and you have to remind yourself you couldn't and shook your head.

"No thanks!" You turn him down kindly. His brows furrow in question.

"Baby are you alright, you sure you don't want one?" He asks and this is when you got irritated.

"I can't drink, okay! I'm pregnant!" You shout at him and his shoulders stiffen.

He immediately spun around toward you, "what?" He asked with a surprised grin.

You put your hand in your pocket and dug out the pregnancy test. You handed it to him and he looked down at it in surprise.

"My God!" He whispered taking the test from your hands and staring at it for a good moment

"My God!" He whispered taking the test from your hands and staring at it for a good moment. When he looked back up he saw your face in tears. He was quick to stash the test in his pocket before going in to wipe your tears. "Why you, cryin?" He asks wiping at your face.

"Are you angry with me?" You sniffle and he just smiles and shakes his head.

"Baby, why would I be angry? It's my fault too!" He reminds you and you feel as if a weight had lifted from your chest. He wasn't angry with you! But then James suddenly remembers, "wait but I thought you got your period last week!" He says.

You wipe at your eyes, "I only told you that to not worry you, and to not worry myself! I lied and told you I had gotten it, even when obviously I didn't!" You explain to him and he just nods. He takes the test out from his pocket and stares at it again, revealing to him the newfound truth. You were pregnant and he was gonna be a dad!

"What are we gonna do, J? Can we even afford this?" You ask him starting to cry again but he is quick to cup your cheeks in his hands.

"Hey, we'll figure it out; we'll make it work, beautiful, I promise you!" He assures you. He leans down and kisses your lips softly. His hands trail to your stomach which was not showing yet but would soon. "This kid will be loved no matter what; our happy little accident!"