Should Have Listened (Clay)

Your best friend had been home for a few days from surgery. Your work schedule had finally allowed you to visit him and you unlocked his door with your spare key. You saw his form in the study and followed the soft stench of cigarette smoke.

He barely glanced up at you before staring into the distance yet again. His fingers held a lit cigarette and he just seemed as though he was dead inside. The flames of the fireplace casting an eerie glow along his face.

You were about to walk out when his soft and smooth voice stopped you

You were about to walk out when his soft and smooth voice stopped you. "What are you doing here, (y/n)?" Clay asked.

You turned back around, "I heard about your mom, I'm so sorry, Clay." You apologize and he just nods. You go over and sit down next to your best friend.

From here you could now see silent tears that slid down his face. "I should have listened to her, she was right about everything." He whispered as if he wasn't even talking to you but himself.

"You couldn't have known, Clay. Don't blame yourself, Sam had everyone fooled!" You tell him and he shakes his head.

"Not my mom!" He said shaking his head. "My mom warned me about her, (y/n/n)! She killed herself to save me! If I had just listened to her she would be alive right now!" He said his voice growing significantly louder.

He takes a long drag of his stupid cigarette before you pluck the cigarette from his fingers and distinguish it in the ashtray. He stares at you in disbelief and he stared into your scolding eyes.

"Enough of this, Clay!" You snap. "Quit feeling sorry for yourself, your mother did that because she loves you!" You tell him as he stares at you in surprise, "and you drowning your sorrows in alcohol and cigarettes isn't going to do that heart that she gave you any favors. It would make her sacrifice not worth it, is that what you want?" You ask him, scolding him like a mother would her child.

He shakes his head hesitantly as if he didn't know if that was the correct answer. But he doesn't say anything but pull your body closer to him and hug you to him.

You don't resist his hold and wrap your arms around him. You realize that he's hurting from the loss of his mom; but he needed some tough love to get him out of his slump. You let him hold you for a few minutes longer before you move out of his hold.

"Get some sleep, Clay! Goodnight!" You attempt to walk out to your car but a hand on your wrist held you from going anywhere.

You look behind you to see Clay up on his feet and holding your wrist. "Please! Stay?" He pleaded looking at you with pleading eyes.

You smile softly and nod before returning to your spot on the couch. He sits down next to you and you lean your head on his shoulder. His fingers interlock with yours and squeezed your hand in comfort. "You'll be okay, Clay! I believe that!" You admit and he looks over and kisses your forehead.

"I know, I just wish she was here!" He whispered and you nod.

You sit with your best friend for the rest of the night. Not a single word passing between the two of you; not that either of you needed it. You had both said everything you needed to. All it took was the other to finally listen.