Unfortunately, that was a daydream for next time.

Teru suddenly sped towards the herd, taking a powerful lunge at the nearest deer. The thing made a horrible squeal. Dead. His jaws found the second one. Dead. Intestines were ripped out of the third. Dead. Literally, within a few eye blinks, thirteen were slaughtered. The survivors fled in fear.

"Teru!" Kieran yelled, taken aback by the abrupt massacre.

The black wolf saw him enter the clearing, snarling loud enough to disturb the birds in the trees. His full weight was on the young buck under him in victory, paw breaking through the flesh and crushing its ribs. The smell of blood was strong.

What stopped Kieran in his tracks was not the overpowering sour pheromones or the intimidating stance. It was Teru's conflicting emotions, fighting each other in their connection. The nesting wanted to bite the intruder's head off. The omega wanted their alpha close. The human wanted to be alone from shame.

Kieran retreated slowly, not to startle him. He would do what Teru desired; well, what the omega and human desired, not the nesting. There would be no head biting today. He'd stay within earshot and downwind.

I'll be close to where he can smell me, but can't see me.

He was in the shadows. It must have satisfied the wolf, immediately ravaging the tender meat. His entire face became saturated in red, drops coloring the grass into a dark crimson. The first deer was picked clean. The next was devoured just as quickly. Buzzards and mid-sized locusts flew in the sky, circling to wait for scraps. They had sensed death.

Kieran was concerned. Teru was tough and resilient, but would he later stare at the deer blood on his hands and call himself a monster? As a talented hunter in his former pack, Kieran believed he wouldn't think this way. As a pregnant omega who was sensitive to others and his surroundings, it was possible. The best-case scenario would be Teru not remembering this episode.

He sniffed the air for the remaining deer. The last members didn't get far. Their fast-food quality blood should suffice and turn his eyes green.

Kieran released a thick wave of mint pheromones to let Teru know he wouldn't be far. The wind carried it. The response was a loud growl saying, Fuck off.

Even when nesting, his language is bad, thinking while chuckling.

He found his food source; not nearly as delicious as Teru's. The skittish deer were alert. They would not know what hit them. In a millisecond, Kieran had already taken their lives, hearts landing on the ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was becoming more difficult as the sun beat down on them. Cicadas hummed. Mirages sizzled ahead. Even Kieran was sweating, occasionally looking up at the blistering sun and cursing it. Teru stopped often to lie in the shade and slow his panting. Omegas hated hot weather. Being pregnant would make it more unbearable.

He'd also inspect hidden places to build a nest. Nothing was good, leading Teru to pace nervously.

You can't make a nest. Once you start, you can't stop until it's done. We just don't have the time. I want to give you a better room for a nest, little one. Be patient.

Kieran felt stronger after drinking deer blood. He was more confident he could take his nesting mate head-on if he had to, though he'd rather not. Whenever Teru circled in place to situate in a cool spot, the alpha would release an aggressive wave of authoritative pheromones to get the wolf to move again.

Forcing Teru didn't work since his will was unnaturally amazing at going against alpha control, but it sure did a great job at pissing off the nesting fit. Every time, the wolf would lift his head and smell the pheromones, growling in frustration at the lack of privacy. Kieran would watch his beautiful form get up and continue running, black fur shining under the light.