232 | Paint It Red

Start from the beginning

     "The Division Program greatly separated the serfs, dwellers, and gaffers. It became the reason why gaffers have a lot of perks and advantages, while serfs have none. This is also where the Tax Collectors came from. Every week, divisions are required to produce a certain amount of merit points, and these points will be checked by the Tax Collectors. Its purpose is to encourage competition and make the students work harder, but that's not the case at all," Ren explains.

     "Based on how you're explaining this, I can only assume that this was only effective to gaffers or students who are high achievers. But students whose skills might not be conventionally amazing kept dropping until they fell and got stuck to the serf division."

     "The easier explanation is actually much more humorous than that. It was like separating the popular kids and the losers. And like those teen movies, the principal always favors the popular kids more. It's just how it goes," Ren says, looking at the angel on the fountain for one last time before turning to Max.

     "Anyway, try looking for that old president and check his history. You might find something interesting," Ren finishes and Max looks at him and touches his chest as a sign of respect, making Ren chuckle because Max did the St. George version and not J.S High's version of a bow.

     "Thank you," Max says, and Ren just brushes it off.

     "Well, I have nothing else to say. I only wanted to take a peek at your horrendous dorm because Keigo told us you were arriving today. But thank you for that wonderful display at the cafeteria. Joon will be very amused to hear about what you said to those serfs earlier," Ren says as he starts walking away from Max.

      While Max watches him leave, Max decides to ask him one last question before they officially part ways.

     "How's PHD doing? You're not being abused by the other brotherhoods, are you?" Max genuinely asks.

     Ren doesn't turn to look back at Max anymore, but there is definitely a grin on his face when he hears the heir's questions. "It's too early for you to worry about us...brotherhood tamer."

     "S-Sorry."

     "It was nice seeing you again, Sinclaire. And...good luck making those serfs produce 50,000 merit points in a week," Ren then says while waving goodbye to Max before finally disappearing.

     As soon as Ren left, Max immediately pulled his phone out and started noting things down so that he wouldn't be able to forget anything before he officially starts his days as a student at St. George Academy.

OBJECTIVES:

(1) Help serfs produce 50,000 merit points for next week's tax collection.

(2) Find clues on who's working with Payton Wolfe.

(3) Prove there was foul play to get PHD back in J.S High.

(4) Ask about the previous president who proposed the Divisions Program.

- Serfs mistreatment(?)...why are serfs treated like this?

- House of Bishops' involvement with PARADOX (?)

* Do all this in 1 MONTH: April 22, deadline.

     While Max stared at his notes, he saw the time on his phone and immediately hid the device back inside his phone. "Shit, I should get back," he whispers under his breath before running back to the dorms.

     Max didn't really want to head back to the cafeteria because he knew he was only going to be ambushed again. He knew it was wrong of him to decide for them, but he had to do something. And if Max has to act as the nosy person who's forcing himself to get into their business, so be it.