40.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Forty - Burn, Baby, Burn.

***************************************************************************************

Peggy and Tony approached the Walker's Bar, wrapping their hats and coats firmly around them. Tony bumped into a lady, groaning softly as her shoulder came into contact with his. 

It was like walking into a brick wall. 

"Sorry." He apologised, and upon seeing something drop out of her pocket, reached down to pick it up. "Uh, lady?" She turned around, and walked over to where he held out her wallet. 

"Thank you." 

There was a brief pause, as Tony studied her face before speaking.  "Nice haircut. It suits you." 

"Nice watch." She retorted, smirking at the design.

"Yeah, a limited edition."

"Oh, I don't doubt it. Well, have a good evening." She walked away. 

The duo turned to walk into the bar. "Told you it suited you." Peggy snorted, feeling Tony's elbow nudge her side. 

"Shut up, Cap."

----

The atmosphere of Walker's was cheerful as the bar's patrons celebrated Christmas Eve with a drink and friends. Festive country music played in the background as people laughed, chatted and drank. Peggy spotted the sheriff as they walked past, seeing the gun in his holster as he tilted his head back, swallowing down a shot.

Eventually, they spotted a woman who looked to be in her 40's sitting along at a table. She looked forlornly down at a necklace of dogtags, an empty glass at her elbow. Tony ordered a glass of lemonade and water, handing a cup to Peggy before walking over.

"Mrs Davis. Mind if we join you?" He asked, making her look up.

"Free country."

"Sure is."

"All right. Where would you like to start?" 

"I just want to say, I'm sorry about your loss. We want to know what you think happened." Tony began. 

"Look, I brought your damn file. You take it, go. Whatever was in here, he wanted no part of it." Mrs Davis croaked, voice thick with emotion.

Peggy took the offered file, which consisted of several reports and photos. Tony lifted one of Chad Davis in full army gear, spotted a piece of paper with 'M.I.A' writted in black marker on the top-right corner.

"Clearly, you're waiting for someone else. Huh? Supposed to meet someone here?" He asked, earning a nod in response.

"Yeah."

"Mrs Davis, your son didn't kill himself. I guarantee you, he didn't kill anyone. Someone used him." Peggy spoke softly, making the older woman look up in shock.

"What?"

"As a weapon." Tony finished.

"You're not the person that called me after all, are you?"

A badge was slammed onto the table, making the occupants jolt in shock. 

It was the woman from before. She shot them a saccarine smile. "Actually, I am." She grabbed Tony's arms, restraining them with handcuffs and a firm grip as she pushed his face into the table surface, making several of the surrounding patrons gasp in surprise.