13.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Thirteen - Whoop, there it is...

***************************************************************************************

Bruce waved a scanner over the Sceptre, a regular beeping emitting from the machine. "The Gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's reports of the Tesseract. But it's going to take weeks to process." Bruce spoke. 

"If we can bypass their mainframe and direct route to the Homer cluster, we can clock this at around 600 teraflops." Tony said, tapping a few buttons on his screen and making his way over to Bruce. 

Peggy was at a table in the corner, reading up on Selvig's reports. She hadn't had enough time to properly go through them, only skimming to grasp the basics before. She decided to let the 'Science Bros', as Stark had dubbed them, to get some work done before she confronted Stark.

Bruce chuckled. "All I packed was a toothbrush." 

"You know, you should come by Stark Tower sometime. Top 10 floors, all R&D, you'd love it. It's Candy Land." Tony offered.

"Thanks, but the last time I was in New York, I kind of... broke... Harlem."

"Well, I promise a stress-free environment. No tension, no surprises." As Tony finished his sentence, he poked Bruce with some kind of electrical screwdriver. He exclaimed in surprise and pain. Tony peered closely at him, probably looking for green. "Nothing? You really have got a lid on it. What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed?" Tony listed, curious.

Peggy decided now was as good a time as any to talk to Tony while he wasn't busy. "Tony, perhaps you should leave Dr. Banner alone. Besides, I've been meaning to speak to you." Tony shrugged and walked over. Bruce sent a grateful smile over at Peggy and continued to work. "What's up Cap?"

"I saw you at the bridge. I know you've planted something, presumably to hack into SHIELD's database. What I want to ask you is if you will inform me of anything Fury has not cared to enlighten us about? I feel like there is something he isn't telling us about. On the way here, I passed several storage rooms but one almost radiated. There is something in this helicarrier that has been in contact with the Tesseract." 

Tony and Bruce looked concerned at the new discovery, though Tony didn't look surprised at the news either. 

"No problem Cap. And I've been thinking. Why did Fury call us in now? Why not before? What else isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all of the variables." Tony thought aloud.

"Dr Banner, your thoughts?" Peggy asked, including Bruce in the conversation. 

He breathed deeply in thought and took his glasses off. "A warm light for all mankind. Loki's jab at Fury about the cube. I think that was meant for you." He gestured towards Tony. "Even if Barton didn't tell Loki about the tower, it was still all over the news." He elaborated, seeing Peggy's confused face. "The tower is powered by an arc-reactor, a self-sustaining energy source. Well that building will run itself for what, over a year?" Bruce questioned.

"It's just a prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now, that's what he's getting at." Tony said. 

"So why didn't SHIELD bring him on the Tesseract project? What are they even doing in the energy business to begin with?" Bruce wondered. Peggy suddenly had an idea which horrified her. "Is there a possibility Fury may try to weaponise the Tesseract?"