39.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Thirty-Nine - An Unexpected Trip to Rose Hill, Tennesee

***************************************************************************************

"-ir? Sir. SIR!"

"Alright, kill the alarm. I got it." Tony murmured as he blearily opened his eyes. 

"That's the emergency alert triggered by the power dropping below 5%."

"Oh..." Tony breathed, becoming all too aware of what was happening around him. The ground was quickly coming into view, and Tony screamed as the suit made a rough impact, groaning as he stopped rolling. His arms felt lighter and he wondered for a moment why.

Then he remembered.

"CAP! JARVIS, locate Peggy."

"M-My sensors-s indicate she is to you-your left, Sir. 5 metres." 

JARVIS spoke between glitches, a sign that the power in the suit was depleting. 

Tony followed JARVIS's directions and found the unconscious body of his friend, bruised and definitely concussed if she wasn't already, but alive. He sighed in relief. It was then he noticed the freezing temperature.  "It's snowing, right? Where are we, upstate?"

"We are 5 miles outside of Rose Hill, Tennessee."

"Why? JARVIS, not my idea. What are we doing here?! This is thousands of miles away! I gotta get Pepper. I gotta-"

"I prepared a flight plan. This was the location."

JARVIS defended himself.

"Who asked you? Open the suit." Tony ordered, fed up with the turn of events.

This was the crappiest Christmas Eve ever.

"I-I think I ma-ay be malfu-nctioning, sir."

"Open it, J." 

The suit deconstructed, allowing Tony to sit up and survey the environment. He shivered heavily, immediately feeling the less-than-comfortable temperature. "Gah! That's brisk. Maybe I'll just cozy back up for a-"

"I actually think I need to sleep now, Sir."

JARVIS spoke, his voice trailing off as the suit powered down.

"JARVIS." Tony called.

There was no reply.

"JARVIS? Don't leave me, buddy."

The only response Tony got was the wind blowing snow in his face. He shivered again and got up, staggering over to where Peggy laid, unresponsive, her shield secured on her back. As carefully as he could, he lifted her from under the armpits, and placed her next to the suit. He flicked a switch, manually opening the armour and maneuvered her into place.

Satisfied that she was somewhat protected from the rough terrain and harsh weather, he created a temporary harness, and began to haul the suit, and Captain, towards civilisation.

---

When Peggy woke up, the first thing she realised was that it was quite chilly. The second thing she noticed was that she was able to breathe again, indicating she had not, in fact, drowned, but was quite alive. (At least she hoped. Drowning was such an uncool way to die.)