24.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Twenty-Four - Pulled my trigger, now he's dead...

***************************************************************************************

After the discovery of the HYDRA Stomper and Steve Rogers - who was somehow still alive inside the metal suit, Peggy Carter drove to the Triskelion, the SHIELD Headquarters in Washington DC, to report on the mission.

As she drove her trusty motorcycle, she couldn't help but think back to the last time she had seen Steve, right before she was sent kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century. She had promised him a dance, both knowing she wouldn't be able to keep it. She could still see his heartbroken face, dusted and slightly bruised from the fight. His eyes had been filled with tears, which threatened to spill over and stain his face with sorrow and grief. The fear in them as he watched his future, the only person he'd ever want to dance with, sacrifice herself for the sake of the world.

Her chest gave a sharp ache, at the mere thought of the life, and love she had lost in time.

She pulled up outside the large building and walking inside, still attired in her combat uniform. Her prescence caused many agents to stare and nod in acknowledgement as she passed. She got in the lift and requested to go to the Director's office.

Once she had arrived at her destination, she left the lift and entered Fury's office. The Director was standing by the window, but turned upon hearing her approach. She gave a brief overview of the mission, before asking "Did you know? That Steve was alive? That he was in the HYDRA Stomper, and, from what I could see, perfectly preserved?"

There was a tense moment's silence before Fury answered.

"No. I didn't know Rogers was alive."

Peggy nodded and began to pace.

"How is Steve even alive? Only severe freezing temperatures could keep him as preserved as he was. And more importantly, what was he doing on the Lemurian Star?" She wondered aloud, looking at the one-eyed man for an answer.

"That I also don't know. We can't even get the suit open. It's frozen shut. But rest assured, I have a team monitioring his condition around the clock. The moment he so much as moves a finger, you'll be the first to know."

Peggy nodded, satified by his answer. Fury got up and walked over to his private lift. 

"I want to show you something we've been working on ever since New York. Insight Bay."

"Captain P. Carter does not have clearance for Project Insight."

"Director Override. Fury, Nicholas J."

"Confirmed."

The lift began to descend and a silence settled between them. Noticing the lack of noise, Peggy murmered, half to herself. "I remember these used to play music."

"My grandfather operated one of these things for 40 years. He worked in a nice building. Got good tips. He'd walk home every night, a roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He'd say 'Hi', people would say 'Hi' back. Time went on, neighbourhood got rougher. He'd say 'Hi', they'd say 'Keep on steppin'. Grandad got to gripping that lunch bag a little tighter."

"Did he ever get mugged?" Peggy asked curiously.

"Every week, some punk would ask him 'What's in the bag?' "