23.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Twenty-Three - Going Home.

***************************************************************************************

"The entire Multiverse owes you a debt of gratitude. But your worlds will never know this victory. Once you walk through that door, you'll return to the exact moment you left."

The doors to the pub opened, a bright light shining through it. T'Challa, Thor and Gamora walked through, relishing the victory they had earned, and looking forward to the rest of their lives. Peggy stopped at the doorway, looking over at the picture of Steve. 

"It's time to go, Captain."

She looked at the Watcher with grief and longing in her eyes.

"You'd rather return to another time." 

"Haven't I earned my happy ending?" She asked, her voice breaking.

"Trust me, that world, that time, it needs Captain Carter."

She looked over at Natasha, who was leaning against the bar. She nodded reassuringly. Peggy straightened up and walked through the door, back to the Lemurian Star.

Peggy opened her eyes, a bit disorientated from all the multiversal travel. She fell to the ground with a groan of pain as Batroc punched her in the face. He chuckled. "I'm too fast." He then fell, having been stung by one of Natasha's Widow Bites. "Don't tell me, he was your type?" She 

greeted. Peggy cheered up at the sight of her friend. "Oh, Widow, I've never been so happy to see you." She breathed out as she hugged her friend. 

"Did you hit your head or something?" Natasha asked in concern as she looked at Peggy weirdly. 

"A few times, actually." Peggy admitted sheepishly.

"Well shake it off. You'll need all your marbles for this one."

***************************************************************************************

Natasha led Peggy down a walkway, past cargo containers as she briefed her. "I found what the pirates were after. Peggy, you might want to brace yourself." They stopped outside a particulary reinforced cargo container, with a small window.

"I can promise you, Nat, this won't be the strangest thing I've dealt with today."

"Famous last words."

Peggy peered through the peep hole, eyes widening almost comically as she saw a blast from the past. "The HYDRA Stomper?" Peggy questioned.

"Yeah, and there's someone inside."