─ 19. this sucks

Start from the beginning

My voice cracked multiple times.

He sounded so happy.

I tried my best to sound happy for him, and I hated myself even more because it didn’t sound convincing enough.

I thanked the good lord above that he was only five years old.

Dae pulled away from my body quickly, causing my hands to fly off his back, and fall onto the mattress. A loud hiss escaped me, followed by a cry of pain.

“El?” Sang rushed into the room from her place at the doorway. “Are you okay?”

“…Lena?”

My eyes opened as I heard Dae’s trembling voice. I sucked in a sharp breath as I saw his gentle eyes tear up. His lips wobbled and his eyes focused on my hands.

“What happened, ‘Lena?” My heart broke in my chest as a tear trailed down his cheek. His tiny hands reached out and gingerly touched the casts that wrapped around my hands, so softly, that it made my eyes water slightly.

“Just a small accident, Dae-Dae.” I forced a grin on my lips, and carefully pulled my body up to press my lips against his head. “It only hurts a little.”

Dae sniffled and wiped his cheeks as Sang awed from her spot by the side of my bed. Dae leaned down and softly pressed his lips against my right hand, and then my left.

My smile widened instantly, and my heart filled with joy at his actions.

“That’s what my Daddy does when I get a boo-boo,” Dae explained cutely, eyeing my hands once again.

“Thank you, Dae-Dae.” I finally laughed – and I didn’t miss the way Sang’s head snapped down and gaped at me.

Crackers, it felt good to be able to laugh again.

“I feel much better.” Especially since you’re by my side again.

***

Hours had passed since I left my bedroom and followed Dae into the living room where he spent the last hour showing me his brand-new toys his grandparents had gotten him.

I eyed Sang once she left the room, phone to her ear.

“Those are awesome, Dae-Dae.” I playfully gasped, holding his new green train in between my hands. “I love them.”

Dae squealed and passed me another train, and out of the corner of my eye – I noticed Sang enter the room again, smile in place.

“The boys are on their way home, El.” She grinned, plopping into the seat beside me. I nodded and smiled slightly before handing the toy back to Dae.

Sang cleared her throat slightly and looked at Dae.

“…and your dad and grandma are on their way to pick you up, sweetheart.” She smiled at Dae, who grinned in response.

“Okay!”

It didn’t take long for my brothers to get home, along with takeout.
The entire family, and Dae, sat in the living room eating kimchi fried rice and japchae.