─ 09. the distance between us

***

ELENA'S POV

Crackers, crackers, crackers.

This would be the most uncomfortable conversation I’ve ever had in my entire life.

I felt myself wanting to flee as I sat on Mister Jeon's couch, Dae on my lap as the man at fault for my anxiety was in the kitchen.

Would this be a good time to run—my thoughts were halted as Mister Jeon joined me on the couch, a tall glass of what I thought was beer in his hand.
He handed Dae and I a small bottle of juice. I held onto Dae as my life line as I nervously sipped my juice, after opening it.

“Thank you.” I gave a sweet smile, “What did you need to talk about, Mister Jeon?”

Crackers, just let me leave.

Mister Jeon cracked a small forced smile that seemed completely unlike him.

I held Dae closer toward me as he busied himself by twirling hair in his hands.

“About last night.” He said simply, watching my reaction closely.

I was thanking the merciful God above that I was able to furrow my brows.

“Huh? Oh do you mean the family meeting?” I asked, taking the safe route and playing dumb. “Everything is all good now, Mister Jeon.”

Mister Jeon was just too good at reading me. It was obvious he didn’t believe a word I said. I cursed myself for being a terrible liar.

His teeth clenched, “No,” he shook his head slowly, raking his tattooed hands through his hair. “I’m talking about what you seen and heard in the kitchen last night.”

Crackers

I slowly nodded, there was nowhere to run.

I had to face this conversation head on without losing control of my emotions.

“…oh. That.” I slowly nodded, unwilling to let go of Dae as he snuggled against me.

Mister Jeon had yet to take his intense gaze off me.

“Um, I didn’t mean to eavesdrop – I was trying to find you and say goodbye. By that time my brother had sent messages.”