Chapter 12 - Frozen Field

Start from the beginning

"That's...," Ryouko said.

Origami had seen this puppet before. It was the weapon Hermit manifested last time, an Angel.
The Angel leaned forward and planted both front feet on the ground. White smoke jetted from its four limbs, stomach, and mouth, accompanied by a low rumble. The puppet turned its head to the sky.

"Grrrrazzzzzzzzzzzz..."

It let out a strange howl, like a buzzing in the ears. And then the ground around the puppet cracked as a whiteness radiated outward from it.

"Wh-what is that?!" came the uneasy voice of a team member.
Hermit's puppet paid them no attention, merely unleashing its disturbing howl and radiating its chill air, while the ground grew whiter and whiter.

"..." Origami looked around. The same thing was happening in every part of the town, as far as her eyes could see.
The pools of water created by the sudden downpour were swelling up, taking a sharp form, turning into countless thorns and freezing in an instant. A frost descended and crawled along the roads, around the buildings. It was like the entire town had been shoved into a freezer. Or rather, a second ice age has struck the surface.

In the blink of an eye, Origami's world was covered in ice. To make things worse, more water was pouring down from the skies at that very second. When the countless drops of water touched the ice covering the ground, they instantly froze in place. A castle of ice, endlessly invaded and added to, burying the city of Tenguu.

"All personnel! Stand your ground! Fire!" Ryouko commanded, and Origami gave an order in her mind.

The firearms equipped all over her body moved. The rest of the AST were similarly strafing Hermit with as many bullets as they could fire. "..." Origami stopped breathing for a moment.

The projectiles froze long before they reached her and fell to the ground without even exploding.
She immediately gave a new mental order, launching a simple analysis. In her field of view, a faint but terrifying broad Spirit signal appeared.

"Wh-what is this?"

"Probably the rain," Origami replied to her comrade's bewildered question.

"Th-the rain?"

"Yes. The rain is imbued with Spirit power, although just a tiny amount. "

The instant their bullets touched the downpour that completely obscured her field of view, they were coated in ice so that even their momentum was frozen, and they fell out of the sky. The rain and cold air were imbued with Spirit power. This curtain of water was a powerful defensive wall to protect the expanding ice castle and the master sitting inside of it.

"...!" She jerked back in alarm when she saw Hermit, glued to the back of the massive puppet, begin to move.

"Grrrrazzzzzzz." Growling even louder now, the puppet reeled backward.