Insufferability

~|| CHAPTER 6 ||~

Aahana strode forward with purpose, her gaze fixed on the path ahead. Oblivious to the world around her, she seemed to possess an unyielding focus, her strides measured and deliberate. Yet, as she walked, a subtle tension weaved through the air. Rudra who stood nearby, his eyes locked onto her with a gaze that seemed to linger just beyond her peripheral vision. Unbeknownst to her, his gaze remained steadfast, tracing the contours of her form and absorbing the grace with which she moved.

She advanced into the dining hall to see the ramen platter on the table. She stared at every person surrounding the table and spent a bit longer gazing at Anaisha. It took all her self-control not to grab a bite from the platter but she stopped herself when she remembered the words of yesterday.

"A ramen party, I see. I wonder why I wasn't invited. Nope, it's my fault. I left the house early today and after I leave, you remember you didn't have ramen for a long time. It's ok. Enjoy. I'll stay in my room. Bye." Slowly, she started advancing up the stairs with powerful strides. But suddenly, her forward momentum halted as if by an invisible force. A gentle grip enveloped her wrist, and she turned, surprised, to meet the gaze of her sister.

"Di, there is ramen for you. Also, I made shakshouka. You can eat that also. Please come na. Please," pleaded Anaisha. Tears welled up in Anaisha's eyes, their shimmering trails tracing a path down her cheeks like delicate rivulets. Her voice, tinged with desperation, wove a tapestry of words, each thread laden with emotion and longing.

"I'm not hungry. Don't invite me. Enjoy."

"Please, di. You can have my Carbonara one also. Please na di."

Abheer couldn't stop himself & said, "Bhabs, please come have food with us. I'd appreciate it. Please. Remember, I can ask one favor per month. This is my favorite."

Aahana turned towards Abheer and looked at him helplessly. She pleaded with her eyes but Abheer remained steadfast and betrayed no emotions. Grudgingly, he trudged towards the dining table and sat down. She brought a plate for herself and plated some of the extra spicy ramen. Aahana delicately twirled a strand of ramen around her fork, her expression a careful veil concealing her true sentiments. Her taste buds had been treated to a symphony of flavors, the expertly cooked noodles bathed in a broth that sang of hours spent simmering. Yet, her visage betrayed no hint of approval, no glimpse of the delight that danced within her palate. A mask of composure masked the silent appreciation that stirred within her, as she engaged in casual conversation, deflecting attention away from the bowl of artistry before her.

"It's ok. Who made it?"

"Come on, Bhabi. You know it," said Reyansh playfully.

"Who? Your wife?"

Anaisha stood still, her heart caught in the vice of her sister's words, each syllable a dagger that pierced the carefully constructed armor of her emotions. A storm of hurt and confusion brewed behind her eyes, threatening to spill over. Her sister's words echoed like a haunting refrain, leaving wounds that went beyond the surface.

"No. Rudra Bhai made it. You like it, right?" said Adhir.

"Hmm.." A few minutes later, Aahana was done eating her ramen and was leaving for the kitchen when she saw her husband still standing near the doorway gazing at her intently. A part of her heart pinched when she could notice that he hadn't eaten the ramen that he cooked himself. Not being able to withstand that emotion anymore, Aahana bought out another plate only to be stopped by Rakshita.