─ 14. home and heartbreak

Start from the beginning

"Here," Vic sprung into action and grabbed one of the large throws off my reading chair and carefully tucked the blanket around my body, maneuvering my hands until the rested above the blanket, on my stomach.

I felt embarrassed, ashamed, and grateful.

Grateful that Vic didn't seem to be bothered. I didn't want to be any more of a burden than I already was. After I was tucked in and the pillows fluffed behind my head, Max jumped up on the bed and laid down on the pillows above my head. Nuzzling the top of my head into his warm fur, I felt on the verge of falling into a coma of exhaustion.

Home.

I was so happy to be home.

Max sniffled curiously at my hands and swollen thumbs before he licked along my cheek. I fought the urge to giggle, and only smiled up at him.

"I'll leave you to sleep, okay? Sean, Sang, and I will check in on you."

"Okay." I yawned, eyes fluttering shut. A few seconds later, Vic pressed a kiss to my head and slowly backing away once he situated my hands in my place where I couldn't roll over and injure myself more.

As the door shut behind him, I ached to leave this room and go down into he music room Vic, Mr. B, and I were constantly in. I wished to rip these casts off my hands, wiggle my fingers, and sit on the piano bench.

More than anything, I wished for the feeling of my fingertips touching the black and white keys and pressing down.

It would make me feel better.

Sniffling to keep my cries at bay, I focused on calming my breathing.

"I missed you, Maxie." I whispered into the quiet room – hearing Max's rhythmic breaths by my ear.

Minutes passed and I was finally able to fall asleep.

***

H

OURS LATER
5:30 PM

The pain medication I had taken before I fell asleep wore off, and I woke up in pain. I had somehow rolled over and laid on my hands in an odd angle, resulting in more pain as my fingers throbbed and felt hot underneath the layers of the casts.

I gritted my teeth and clenched my jaw as I righted myself and rubbed my eyes with a forearm.

Max stretched his body and jumped off the bed, long fluffy tail wagging once he noticed me clumsily stumble to my feet.

"Ow," I winced, maneuvering my thumb to press a button on my nightstand, turning on the lamps in my bedroom. In the dim lit room, I stretched my back, listening closely downstairs once I heard North's voice raise.

Max was waiting by my closed door, waiting patiently as I padded over and tried to open the door. Biting down on my lips harshly, I fought a frustrated scream as I tried to fit my hands around the doorknob and twist it.

Crackers

Minutes later, I finally figured out a way to get the door open (even though it made my hands ache more) I was proud to have found a way around it.

Max pushed open the door further and sped downstairs. I followed after him, seconds later, smacking my lips sleepily.

My brothers and Sang were seated in the living room, more than likely in the middle of a meeting, and were staring at me concerned as I stepped through the doorway.

"Can I have some Tylenol?" I croaked, throat drying considerably as Vic scooted over and offered me the seat in between him and Mr. B.

Sean nodded and stood up from his seat. "You'll need to eat and drink something too, Elena." He said, "You need to get your strength back."