A fragile Peace

Amidst the raging battle, a mysterious figure stood silently surveying the chaos unfolding around them. Soldiers were rushing from both sides as the battle reached its peak. Wizards were igniting flames in their hands attacking each other. Men were screaming and running around clashing their swords against each other, the sound of metal reviving the deep night.

Despite the moonless sky, the fires around him made it seem like daytime and Rokan was able to study every single detail. His eyes were reflecting the flames and his breathing was heavy.

The ordeal of the last couple of weeks was starting to slow him down. He had been restless ever since the king ordered him to go to war. His mind was starting to wander away from the enemy in front of him when a blade swung in front of his eyes. He leaned backwards to avoid it but could feel the skin on his face ripping.
He temporarily lost sight in his left eye and gritted his teeth at the pain he was feeling. The price of distractions during battle was never cheap.

Stepping back and regaining his balance, he tightened his grip on his sword as he raised his arm and swung his blade with so much force beheading the soldier facing him, blood splattering all over his face. His own blood mixing with that of his enemy. He had to use the back of his hand to wipe his face and slowly opened his wounded eye to scan the field in front of him.

The grass, no longer green, was covered in blood and motionless bodies were piling up. The injured were screaming and asking for help, trying to hold onto life while others were screeching in utter desperation, running around as their bodies caught on fire. He realized that the slaughter would probably continue till dawn.

Rokan yelled at the troops to keep advancing, leading his men further into the heart of their enemy's crumbling formation. His need to win the battle kept ringing in his mind. He had already made his decision, he could either win or die tonight. In both cases it would be the start of something new however if he wins, he knew exactly what was lying ahead and he would finally fulfill his dream.

Realizing that everything he had been through had led to this moment, he dropped his shield and pulled his second sword from the scabbard on his back. Rokan launched forward, duel wielding, breaking into the enemy's formation.

The battle reached its peak when their supporting wizard managed to kill his opponent, giving Rokan and his soldiers the advantage to launch a full attack. The wizard kept launching attacks and creating barriers around the troops as they advanced but with each passing minute, the barriers were weakening.

Rokan glanced back and saw the man struggling to stand. He hadn't known him for long, the king had bought him recently and the man hadn't even been able to settle in the kingdom yet when he was called for battle.

Most of the wizards chose to stay away from humans but some kept roaming the kingdoms and serving the royalty. They had to obey orders and go to war when ordered to and if they survive they get to be spoiled in riches and if they don't their names will be too soon forgotten.

After a couple hours, Rokan stood watching the few who decided to run for their lives riding their horses up the hill.

"Should I order the archers to aim at them ?" A knight asked.

"Let them be." Rokan sighed as he could feel his muscles turning numb from the soreness. "Scan the grounds for whoever is still alive and prepare to tend to them before we head back. If anyone from the Lassi kingdom is still alive, kill them."

Once the knight nodded in confirmation, Rokan walked around inspecting the wounded until he stopped at the sight of a certain dead body. The wizard's lifeless eyes were still open as he gazed into the void, Rokan kneeled down and closed them. He was inspecting the dead man's features for the first and last time. The thin sun rays were starting to penetrate the clouded sky, when the words, "Victory is ours!" echoed around them.

Soon men all around him were heard cheering and the sound of their swords hitting the shields in celebration echoed in the field.

"You have led us to victory again, Rokan." A blonde knight approached him with heavy steps, fatigue evident in his voice.

"It's not over yet." Rokan said as his eyes scanned his men. Theon followed his gaze and answered his unspoken question.

"They will follow you no matter what, they believe in you." He assured his friend.

The two have known each other since they were young and as they have grown beside each other, Theon saw the time and effort Rokan has poured to become the one with the highest rank on the battlefield, he admired the twenty-year old and his undeniable talent, along with his constant training from a young age, he was able to climb up the ranks of the army faster than anyone else.

The soldiers respected him and admired his leadership. As their commanding general, he had to come up with the strategic plans for the army and also lead the front lines. Along with his knights who had acquired valuable information about the tactics of their enemy, he was able to come up with the most adequate strategy to block the escape routes of their enemy and surround them in a tight spot, allowing his soldiers to unleash hell on everyone standing in their way.

Rokan's knowledge of war comes from the fact that he had spent most of his life on the battlefield. Having a different childhood, ever since he was a kid, he learned how to wield a sword and he jumped into every fight. However recently Rokan was tired and desperate for a break from the bloodshed. Nightmares filled with faces begging him to spare their lives hunted him.

He started longing for peace, he wanted their kingdom to make allies and expand its trading, he wanted the people to enjoy peaceful times and not constantly worry about enemies invading because their king refused to discuss any traitees. They might have survived for the past couple of years but it won't last long.

The trip back home was full of anticipation and tense feelings, everyone knew what had to be done once they were back home. Rokan has already told his men of his plan and everyone was relieved by his talk about the peaceful times ahead of them if they were to support him. For over a year now, the soldiers have been fighting unnecessary battles to satisfy their spoiled king. A king who resolved to violence to solve any issue facing him and he counted on Rokan to do so while he hid behind the kingdom walls.

As they entered the Kassi kingdom with yet another victory, people cheered and welcomed the soldiers, throwing roses at them and yelling supporting words. Rokan was riding his horse with his swords resting in the hostlers and his shield on his back. All of his soldiers were still carrying their weapons as well. They maintained their battle formation as Rokan led the way to the castle where the king awaited.

"One more battle." He whispered to himself. 

                                         -------------------------------------------------------------------