Chapter 15

Sam's POV

I would give up everything if it meant that I could spend every single morning just like this...waking up with the most beautiful woman in the world sprawled on top of me, her soft, (s/c) skin flush against my own as her nearly inaudible snores graced my ears.

Having Y/N in my arms made me feel so complete...so whole.

Her steady heartbeat was thudding rhythmically against my side, her leg was laid across my own, and the heat from her core warmed my thigh as her soft, (h/c) hair playfully brushed against the skin of my arm.

She was so peaceful...so breathtaking....currently the most at ease she had been since I swooped back into her life.

This moment was almost perfect.

Except....giving everything up for this wasn't an option, as much as I wanted it to be. And with how cryptic I was with her last night...making a promise I knew I couldn't keep....it made me feel absolutely disgusting inside...nullifying the ecstacy that this woman brought me.

But I did what I do best: I told myself that I was doing what I had to for the sake of her own sanity and safety...and prayed that someday, her trust in me wouldn't be in vain. Maybe when all this is said and done...I might actually feel like I'm worthy of the powerful love she had to offer.

I was admiring her gorgeous face, using the sight of her full, rosey, parted lips and her elegant long lashes to keep me grounded...but my ears perked up to the sound of my phone suddenly vibrating on the nightstand beside me.

I reached over with my free arm, grabbing the phone and squinting into it as the harsh light from the screen pierced my sleepy eyes, and my heart sunk to the pit of my stomach as I viewed the multiple texts on the screen.

Ruby: We need 2 talk.

Ruby: Where have u been? This is urgent.

Ruby: Call me. NOW.

I gulped harshly at the messages. Ruby and I hadn't talked in a good, long while now...I'd promised Dean that I would stop all communications with her after my most recent round of demon blood "detox".

Part of me wanted to keep that promise...both for his sake and Y/N's...but following Dean and I's conversation last night...I was still wholeheartedly convinced that me reaching my full power was the only way to stop Lilith. And for the sake of wrapping this shit up and coming back home to Y/N....I'd made the conscious decision that I would stop at absolutely nothing.

Even if that meant I had to go through that horrific detoxification process yet again....even if it meant that Dean would never forgive me.

And if Ruby was reaching out to me now with such urgency...that could only mean one thing: we're running out of time.

I took note of the time on my phone screen, which read 5:07AM. I hadn't heard any movement in the house, so it was safe to assume Dean and Bobby were still asleep. So I decided to seize my opportunity... and I very carefully wriggled myself out from underneath Y/N, being extra careful not to wake her.

Once I was free, I rose to my feet, throwing my jeans back on and my t-shirt over my head. I stared down at my phone for a moment, and then redirected my gaze back to Y/N...cursing myself internally...before slipping out of the bedroom door...making my way silently down the stairs and out the side door of the house, out to the garage area.

When I was sure I was alone and out of earshot from everyone...I hesitated, but inevitably clicked on Ruby's phone number and held the phone to my ear.

"Hey handsome, long time no see." she greeted me flirtatiously after the first two rings.