Chapter 12. Rainy Day

"Whatever," Soraya says, breaking their stare

She is oblivious to the great similarity she in fact shares with Elroy. Both individuals have lost their fathers on a young age to people from the demon realm, forever scarred by the events that have happened when they should have been enjoying a worry-less youth instead.

"We have a mission to focus on. Now that I'm feeling better and you're finally out of your delusion, it's time for us to continue our journey," she adds.

"Fine," the boy scoffs.

Soraya walks towards her horse and Aysu rapidly follows, keeping quiet as she processes the confrontation that has just occurred. Within a few minutes, the four are back on the rocky mountain road.

...

It's quiet. With Soraya and Elroy both annoyed at each other, Ayden and Aysu awkwardly stay in silence for a few hours. They have no idea what could be said to break the stingy tension. Still, Ayden tries.

"So.. Pretty nice weather, huh? No thunderbolts in sight so no calamities, no rain that will make all of us soaking wet and hinder our jour-" and right at that moment, it starts to pour and the purple thunder strikes again.

"Ahhh," he grunts, laying his head on the horse's neck to cover his embarrassment.

"Damn, you sure are lucky aren't you? You should become a weather forecaster," Elroy comments.

Aysu and Soraya laugh.

The boy actually managed to break the ice as he offered himself as the embarrassment for distraction. Ayden smiles, proud of his accomplishment.

"Hey guys, I think we should find a place to take shelter," Aysu then says. "It's raining cat and dogs. We won't be able to set a fire in this weather," she adds.

"Exactly. And my hair won't survive this either," Elroy comments, fixated on his appearance as usual.

"There should be a village nearby. Let's see if we can take shelter there," Soraya says.

They all nod and continue until they arrive at Dragon Claw village. When they get there, they are faced with a horrible sight.

People are crying and screaming in the rain while others put a cloth over the bodies laying on the floor. Spread across the village are people with severe burns on their faces, necks and hands. The villagers help each other out by trying to treat one another.

"The demon clan..." Elroy says under his breath. His jaw clenches while he makes a fist. He seems to have forgotten his beautiful hair that is now a mess due to the rain.

Soraya looks at him, wondering what is going on inside his mind.

"This is horrible.." Aysu says. "We should treat them before anything else. Taking shelter can wait for now," Ayden adds.

Whilst Ayden takes it upon himself to treat the villagers using his healing powers, Aysu cooks medicinal drinks using her little notebook full of information on yet another handy topic, and Soraya speaks with the head of the village.

"It's the demon clan..! They have ruined everything for us!" the old man says in frustration as he looks around the village.

His hair comes down to his ankles and has fully turned white. He's holding a wooden cane to support his only leg he has left. "Young cultivators, from the looks of it you and your friends must be skilled."

"Please seek justice for us!" He tries to kneel but struggles doing so.

"Quickly, get up," Soraya says, holding him by the elbows to carefully lift the man.

"Don't worry, old master. We have been sent by the Dragon King to seal the Demon King. Once we accomplish our task, there will be no more villagers suffering from those horrendous thunder strikes," she says as she tries to assure the old man.

She then glances at the entrance and she notices Elroy is sitting on the soaking ground, head down. For some reason, she can't let the boy drown himself in the rain.

"Old master, I will be back soon. Please rest assured as my friends do everything in their might to cure your villagers," she says and quickly bows, walking towards the pretty boy straight after.

"Elroy..?" she says hesitatingly. She holds an umbrella over his head.

He looks up at her. His eyes are red. Although he's soaking wet due to the pouring rain, it is visible he has been crying.

He stares at her and doesn't say anything. Soraya thinks he must want some time alone so she intends to leave but right at that moment he pulls her by her wrist and holds her in a tight embrace.

Shocked, she loses her grip.

The umbrella falls down.