Chapter 8. Blurry Skies

Misty Dragon Mountain, China

The sun rises and the birds make their presence known by chirping in harmony. They are loud, louder than usual. As if they are trying to find one another. The reason being the extreme mist that has been hanging in the air since this morning.

As usual, Soraya is first to wake up. Having a structured morning and evening routine has caused her biological clock to be the most regular out of all four.

"This mist.. it'll be dangerous to travel in this condition," she thinks as she notices the blurry skies, worried about what could go wrong.

Soraya checks up on the horses, gives them some grass and carrots to munch on and starts her daily routine consisting of journaling and practicing martial arts. She feels bad for what happened yesterday at the inn. In order to show her sincerity, Soraya prepares Jasmine tea for the whole group.

While she's busy making tea, Elroy wakes up. He glances at Soraya and observes her for a few minutes.

Her hair is jet black and in length comes close to that of himself. He has only seen her with a serious look on her face, but to his surprise she looks.. happy, preparing her beloved Jasmine tea with a faint smile on her face. It almost makes him think there's more to her than her usual cold demeanour.

"I must be crazy," he thinks and pretends to sleep until Ayden wakes up.

"Good morning, Soraya," Ayden says with a bow. She bows in return and offers him a cup of freshly made tea. "Jasmine, hmm. It's delicious," he smiles at her. Eyes lit up, she says "it's my favourite."

"Tea?", Elroy's eyes open wide. He moans and groans, forcefully waking up from his pretentious deep sleep. "Well, well. What a wonderful scent. May I?" he says with a wink. Soraya rolls her eyes and quietly chuckles but pours him a cup.

"Oh, what was that? Did I just sense a chuckle?" he says teasingly with his hand on his hip and one eyebrow raised. "Don't push my buttons, sir," she jokingly responds.

Ayden smiles happily, forming an eye smile, delighted at the sight of the two very different personalities finally having a conversation that doesn't end with someone rolling their eyes or cutting the other person off. "Ah, nothing beats harmony," he thinks to himself.

...

After the group has woken up Aysu, the infamous night owl, they get ready to continue their journey.

Before they get on their horses, Soraya looks at Aysu and says "Aysu, we count on your powers to make a clear path." "Got it," she responds determined. "I'll walk in front of you to clear the mist."

Aysu twirls and makes big movements to push the mist away. It looks almost as if she's dancing, pushing her feet forward and gracefully moving her arms. She manages to clear the path for the time being.

After a few hours, Ayden notices something in the distance. "Aysu, stop. Look," he says, pointing towards a blurry image a few feet away. They carefully wait as the figure gets closer and closer. Aysu is now hiding behind Soraya, who has already wielded her sword.

"H..help.." it says.

As it gets closer the image becomes clear, showing a beautiful young woman with long black hair that comes down to her feet. She's wearing a white hanfu with plenty orange and golden coloured details. She appears to have hurt one of her feet, limping towards the group.

"Help," she says, "They're here."

Captivated by her beauty, Elroy lets down his guard and asks if she's okay. "Elroy, don't. Come back here," Soraya says with a loud voice, frustrated at his momentary loss for analytical thinking skills.

"Who's here?" Elroy softly asks the beautiful girl.

"People from the demon realm! They've hurt me!" She cries as she hugs him. Startled but still bewitched by her beauty, he hugs her back.

Suddenly, her tears fade, a deceitful smirk appearing on her face and her hands turn into claws.

"Elroy!" Ayden shouts. "Watch out!"

At that moment, she turns into her actual form. A fox spirit.