Chapter 6. Call of Death

Dragon Bone inn, now

"Soraya, what's going on?" Ayden asks while Aysu tries to shake her back to reality.

"Aurora..." Soraya whispers softly but loud enough for everyone to hear. "Aurora? Who's Aurora?" Elroy asks, raising his eyebrow. He's holding his right hand to the height of his chest, a flame coming from it.

Soraya is back to reality and sniffs. "N-no one," she says, trying to brush off what just happened. She swats away Aysu's hands that have been holding her shoulders this whole time.

"Elroy, would you mind?" Soraya asks, voice low, pointing to the candles on the tables. He then swings his arm and with a swift motion turns on the candles.

He would love to make an ego boosting comment about himself but given Soraya's pale face even he knows it's best to keep quiet at this moment.

Soraya carefully sits down on a crooked rotten chair and the rest follows, except for Elroy who prefers not to get his hair nor his clothes dirty.

"What are we gonna do now? This place is rotten. Just walking the stairs could turn into a disaster," Aysu says with worries written all over her face.

"If only we would have just followed the map.." Elroy remarks, unamusingly looking at his nails.

"Don't say that," Ayden says in defends of Soraya. "She didn't know. We need to focus on what we can do now. The sun has almost set," he says, looking outside the window to the sky that is growing darker and darker by the minute.

"We have no choice but to camp outside," Soraya says. "Elroy can use his powers to make a fire, Aysu can use hers to get us leaves we can utilise as blankets, Soraya can use hers to create a soft ground and I will use mine to get us some fish," Ayden then adds.

"Fish!" Aysu says all excited. "Let's do it," she responds determined.

Aysu then notices something on top of the counter and walks towards the shiny item. It's purple - hence having grabbed her attention. It's a name tage saying Dearil. Dearil.. Dearil.." Aysu walks in circles trying to recall the origins of the name.

"I got it! Dearil, meaning call of death, is the right hand of the demon king. I've read about this in one of my books before," she says.

"Damn, you own books about everything, don't you," Elroy comments. "It comes in handy, though," he flirtatiously says and gives her a wink.

"This means people from the demon realm have been here," Ayden says. "Judging from the state of the furniture and taking into account the heavy rainfall that has appeared the past few weeks, it could be possible they were here not too long ago."

Soraya stands up. "We must hurry before they harm even more people," she says. Aysu uses a wind force to blow out all the candles and they all stand up.

As the group turns back to their - now three - horses to leave and find a spot to camp, Soraya takes a minute to look at the inn, the image of Aurora sitting at the entrance and that of her father taking his last breath flashing before her eyes.