Chapter 8

"why did we run here? " Dray asked when they both got to the car. Gumball sighed and leaned against the car." Penny is back" dray looked at him for a second and then he remembered that he saw her in the class. " Oh that was penny? .... " He went quiet before he continued " ... You guys use to date right?" Gumball gripped his own shirt. He didn't answer Dray's question instead all Dray got was a pained expression on gumball's face. " What was the point of ripping my heart out like that just for her to come back" he slightly whispered but dray heard. "What?" He asked but Gumball just brushed it off. " Where's Clare? Aren't we leaving?" He asked looking for Clare around the parking lot. "Clare isn't coming with us today, get in and let's go."

They drove off leaving the school grounds. Gumball stayed quiet not feeling like he should be talking. Drayson noticed Gumball looking glum. He broke the silence by speaking first. " And here I thought the most awkward thing would be the fact that I kissed you out of nowhere today." He sighed. "Gumball immediately looks at Dray. " Yeah what is wrong with you?! Why did you do that! You made my heat flare up!!" He asked waiting for Dray to explain himself. " I don't think that's important right now. I can see that this whole Penny situation is eating you up so tell me about it when we get to that hill side." The sun was starting to set as they drove to their location. Dray took of his shades and Gumball noticed that. "Why do you wear shades all the time?" Gumball asked making Dray get caught off guard. Gumball repeats himself " why do you always wear those shades? Wherever you go, whenever I see you, you always have your shades on. Why!? It makes it hard for me to read you sometimes!" Dray chuckled softly at Gumball's little rant. "Has that been bothering for a while?" He said side eyeing Gumball. " I think I told you this once when we were kids. The fact that you forgot hurts me dearly Zachy!" Gumball cringed. " Ew Don't ever call me that again!" All dray did was laugh.

" My eyes are very sensitive to light so I wear shades during the day to reduce the amount of sunlight that gets into my eyes and I take them off when the sunsets. Fun fact though, I can see well in the night. It's like I have cat eyes right?" Dray explained to Gumball making him chuckle. " I bet I can still see better that you during the night though" he said feeling superior. As the journey continued they finally reached the hill side. Dray made sure to park the car a little further away from the other people but could still hear the music and see the lights. They sat quietly in the car for a moment. Dray didn't want to pry too much on Gumball's situation with Penny so he just didn't say anything. They both gazed at the view of Elmore's beautiful lights. It was comfortable... Till Gumball released a big sigh.

"What's up?" Dray turned to look at gumball. His cat ears and tail seemed to have disappeared, maybe his heat has subsided. " I get that you brought me here to help me calm down and all, I mean for a moment it worked but, I just can't get Penny out of my head." Gumball said ruffling his own hair in frustration. "... What happened between you two!" Dray hesitantly asked not sure if asking that question was going to make Gumball upset. " I don't know if I was too emotionally attached to her but... When we got into highschool, I thought... I thought everything was going to keep going well and we'd be a happy couple for a long time. I guess that was wishful thinking because half way through the first year of highschool she broke up with me. I asked her why expecting some big reason but all I got was that she was moving away." Gumball turned to Dray. " She wasn't even moving that far only the next town. I told her that we can make that work, I can visit her every weekend, we can talk on the phone! There was no reason to break up!! .... She told me that she's not even sure when they'll be coming back or if they will be coming back to Elmore. Then you know what she said?...."

Gumball turned away from Dray he opened the door and got out felling like he needs some air. Dray got out of the car following Gumball to the front. He stood there and looked at Gumball who had his knees in his chest and head in his arms. " .... She said, and I quote, ' gumball we're still kids. You didn't think we'd spend the rest of our lives together right? We still have our lives ahead of us' ........ When she said that I felt like a black hole just appeared in my chest and swallowed my heart whole!" Gumball closed his eyes shut trying not shed tears remembering all the pain he once felt. " AGH! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I FEEL LIKE SOMEHOW IM GOING TO END UP GOING BACK TO HER AND I DON'T WANT THAT ...... I - I just need a reason, a reason not to go back to her because without that reason I might do something stupid like the idiot that I am. I keep repeating the same words in my head, ' she's going to hurt you again if you go back to her!' But even that isn't good enough of a reason for me." There was silence, nothing but the sound of the night breeze, soft music and people chatting in the background could be heard but then Dray finally spoke. "I could give you a reason." He said making Gumball lift his head in confusion. "What?" Gumball asked.

"Come here!" Dray pulled Gumball by his arms helping him on his feet. He didn't let go of Gumball instead he just moved his hands to hold his hands, making sure that they faced each other. Gumball still didn't want to look at Dray so he looked at the ground as if it's the most interesting thing there. "Gumball look at me." Dray said. Gumball slowly looked up at Dray. " I said I could give you a reason" he said with a serious look on his face. " No offence but I don't think you know me well enough to.........." Gumball was cut off. Once again for the second time today Drayson had kissed Gumball. Gumball was shocked, he had so many questions going through his mind at that moment but the longer he felt Dray's lips on his own he began to give in. He slowly kissed Dray back. Dray could tell Gumball was hesitant, he reached a hand around Gumball's waist and pulled him closer. A moment later they stopped because Dray didn't want to overwhelm Gumball. He leaned down and whispered very softly in Gumball ear. " Don't go back to Penny .... Be mine instead." Hearing that made Gumball shiver.