20. Greed

"What in Karakas' name are you wearing?" Pride scowled at Lucien.

"Karakas?" I asked Elmir who sat next to me at the dinner table.

"One of the oldest demons who lived in Ferri." He whispered back to me.

"If you insult this, you insult the Lady Ava." Lucien winked at me as he dusted a non-existent fleck of dust from his leather jacket. "It was a gift from her."

Pride didn't look at me but eyed Lucien's jacket again. I focused on my dinner as the others talked to each other. I glanced at Greed from the corner of my eye. The second to last prince, the second to last month was about to start. Just thinking about my time in Ferri coming to an end made my heart clench. Leaving the princes that I've come to know behind made me wish I could reverse back time. Maybe I will form a bond with Greed, and I'll be able to stay. Or maybe I should give this thing with Wymond a chance... But marriage isn't something to go over lightly.

I felt Pride's eyes on me, the intensity of his gaze sends my body aflame. I risked a glance at him and our eyes locked. What was it about him that made me drawn to him or made me want to claw his eyes out. I hated how my heart started to beat faster in my chest. If it was for hate or... something else. I wetted my dry lips with the tip of my tongue and his eyes flickered down. It was my chance to look away, because when our eyes were locked it was nearly impossible. I felt his eyes on me, but I bent down to take the pictures from my bag.

"I got something to cheer you up when you'll miss me after today." I grinned at Elmir. I rummaged in the bag next to my seat, Maze lifted her head a little before closing her eyes again. I handed him a stack of pictures along with two magazines.

"What is this?" He asked.

"Have a look." I nudged him. As he flipped through the pictures, I said. "I contacted the new owners of the animals that were adopted, and they all happily send me some photographs." I noticed the others had quieted down and were looking at us. I passed out the pictures of the ones Elmir had already seen.

"They seem happy." Sevrin smiled. He reached over and squeezed my hand. "You did great work, Ava. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you." I smiled and squeezed back. I turned back to Elmir. "That was almost terrifying, the compliment he gave me. I'm shivering in fright."

He pursed his lips at me, but a smile broke through the surface. "You're talking about the nicest prince of us all."

I shrugged. "You're pretty nice too."

He chuckled softly as he focussed back on the photos. "Oh." He said, a smile forming on his lips. "They look happy."

I leaned closer and glanced at the picture in his hands. The picture of Olson, Syl and Oak. "Olson is taking a break from acting this year, so he's home for most of the time. They are getting more attention than a princess at a ball." I laughed softly.

"Thank you for this. This means a lot." He pulled me in a hug.

"Who knew demons or demon princes had such big hearts." I smiled against his shoulder. "Those terrible, terrifying, crazed demon princes."

He pulled back with a serious expression, but his eyes twinkled with amusement. "I could tell you stories that would make the hair on your arm stand up.

"I know." I said quietly and the amusement disappeared from his eyes. "Lucien told me part of your history and why you stopped using your powers." I grabbed his hands tightly in mine as he looked shocked, or rather frightened. "And yet, I am not afraid."

He shook his head with a small smile. "You are brave, Ava." He leaned in and kissed the top of my head. "And truly, thank you." He handed over the pictures to his brothers who all watched our interaction. I didn't know if they heard the conversation between us and I didn't care. "And what's this?"