18. The Event

"Alright, I think we're ready." I said scanning the papers in my hand. Two weeks of preparation, checking the animals and occasional trips to the mortal world later. Subconsciously, I scratched Maze's head. The Newfoundlander had grown really attached to me and was the one who followed me everywhere.

"I don't know." Elmir frowned, placing a puppy back in the kennel.

"Do you think we missed something?" I flipped through the pages once again. I was sure we covered everything.

He ignored my question. "Let's head inside, my brothers are coming over for dinner." He said as he walked outside, the three other dogs parted before him.

"Which ones?" I asked following him out. When he didn't answer, I knew it was going to be all of them. Great!

As we walked inside the house, all six brothers were already there. Leon too, he wasn't able to make a portal to Elmir's home himself, but he could tag along with Sevrin. They had made themselves comfortable on the several couches spread across the living room. I still couldn't figure out why they were here, but I greeted them with a smile. Most of them.

"Not that I'm not happy to see you again, but it's been a day." I chuckled as I released Wymond.

"A day?"

I ignored Pride and looked to the others. All of the princes took their seats again including Elmir, but I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning my hip against an empty armchair and looked down at them. Looking at them with a raised eyebrow. "Well?" The princes remained silent. "I don't have time for this. I have an event to prepare for." I sighed.

Only a few days after we started planning, I knew I wanted to do more than just drop the animals in the shelter. Since I worked over a decade in the shelter, I've made a lot of contacts. Even a few high profiled ones. I just had to make a few phone calls, telling them a gruesome story about what happened to the animals, and they all agreed to help. The adoption event was tomorrow.

"We know." Wymond said as he leaned forward on his knees. "We are worried about your safety. We can't go with you."

"First of all -" I said, grabbing my dagger and pointing it at them. "I can defend myself. Second, Maze will be by my side." The dog bared her teeth just at the right moment. "And third, there will be enough security to guard a queen." I turned to Elmir. "You know this."

He rubbed a hand over his face. "I don't know anything about mortal security, Ava. Especially against demons."

"They have guns, and they are not the same as five hundred years ago. One good shot and dead." I made the finger movement like I was pulling a gun. "They are going to be high profile people there, so that means enough guards. I do appreciate the trust you have in me." I scoffed.

"It's not that-" Sevrin said.

"No?" I interrupted him, I was getting really frustrated now. "It sure as hell sounds like it to me! The only ones who know about me going to the mortal world are the ones in this room. Here I thought after all those months you trusted me." In anger, I threw the dagger into the wall behind the couch Pride, Greed and Griffin were sitting on. They didn't flinch. "I don't know what I'm doing here if you can't even do that."

I stormed out of the room, ignoring the princes who called after me. When I was halfway out of the room, I held out my hand. I smirked as I heard the surprise gasps of the princes when my dagger flew out of the room and into my hand. Maze trotting down next to me.

I sat down on the terrace of my room, gazing out to the large grass fields in front of me. I took a few big gulps of red wine before I focussed my attention on the event. Scanning the papers once again, looking for any security problems, but couldn't find any. Maze laid down next to me. But focussing on the papers helped me temper my anger. Ten minutes later, the door of my room opened and closed. Heavy footsteps came closer. Without looking up from my papers I said.