Happiness

-What to do, my love? I'm starting to fall apart. I promised myself I will think of you every second of my existence. Then why is that boy replacing you in my mind? I don't want to let you go yet. I can't let you go, Jisung crumbled in the mud in front of a gravestone.

He buried his head between his palms and fall on his knees, crouched in a ball. His forehead touched the ground as his tears stained his face.

-I miss you, my Areum. Though you'd never been mine. You had my heart. What am I without you, Areum? What am I? What am I if I let that boy love me? I'll do what you've done to me and he will end up crying in front of a grave. I don't wish anyone this fate... My Areum... I wish you would be here with me and tell me what to do. You were the wise one, he sobbed in his palms, letting out tears he he'd been holding for years.

-Is that the woman? a voice asked from behind him.

Jisung turned around with puffy eyes and looked up at Felix. -What are you doing here?

-I came after you. I was scared you would... he gulped in fear.

-Go home, Felix... There is nothing to see here. Just my pathetic self, Jisung whiped his face with his sleeve.

-That woman... That was her?

-Lee Areum. Yes, Jisung sniffed.

-Jisung, that woman was my grand grandmother, Felix stated in horror.

Jisung froze in shock as all the dots linked to each other.

Of course she was. Minho was her male version. Why didn't see it sooner?

-I bet you're thinking how cruel I am for pulling such twisted joke, huh? Jisung tried to brush it off.

-You knew her. How? Felix crouched down to look in his eyes.

-We met when she was young. She was engaged. I loved her with my whole being. Then she gave birth to your grandmother and died. I was there. I held her hand until her last breath. Bet you think I'm crazy, he laughed nervously.

-The tattoo... The numbers changed. Why? he looked down at Jisung's wrist.

The scarf untied itself when he collapsed on the ground, letting Felix notice the lower number engraved on it.

-How much time I have left.

-To what?

-To live, Felix! Wake up! he got up and started laughing historically. I'm cursed! So were my aunt and her husband! I am cursed to live forever and die only if someone loves me. How cruel is that? I have been alone for so long that I wished to die and couldn't. You wanna know why? Because my parents killed themselves to higher my number. Because they loved me and they knew that would be the death of me. Everyone around me gets hurt and dies. All because I have no guts to slice my wrist, his voice cracked inside his troath.

-That's why you didn't make it to the date... Felix concluded.

-I was so excited about it and then I saw my numbers. I tried to erase the tattoo with a blade. I didn't mind dying. I just didn't want Minho to see it. I woke up a few hours later. My numbers still there, he explained. I'm going to die, Felix! What's the point in loving someone that will die anyway? he screamed in the freckled's face.

The latter wrapped his arms around Jisung's neck and started crying in his shirt.

-If you were to tell me my parents and grandma would die so soon, I would still have loved them with all my heart. Death doesn't change a thing. We all die anyway. We are meaningless, Jisung. If you spare Minho of this, what would you accomplish? Huh? You're sparing him of happiness. Short-termed happiness is still happiness. For a guy that lived hundreds of years, you think too much of a future that you can't control. I love you, Jisung! You're my friend and I love you! Got it? I won't stop loving you and neither will Minho! God dammit, just accept already that you are part of the family! he yelled, his whole body shaking in Jisung's embrace.