16 - Sixteen - Ilya Russo's Point Of View.

Somehow, getting cake turned into getting dinner, Viktor offered to pay for it all. But I told him I would, and made sure it came out of my money, that he had. Sitting in the booth, I was twitchy, more so because someone sat at the table behind me, and Vito.

Viktor noticed and spoke. "Are you going to be alright?"

Picking up my drink, my hand shook, and I was growing frustrated. Vito stood up, and I reached for him. "Where are you going? Don't leave—--"

"Ilya, breathe. I'm asking Alessio's Nonna to make our meals to-go."

"I'm sorry, I will—-"

"It's more than you can handle, and there is no need to push it." Vito said and went to the till. The older woman and Vito had a long conversation, and she headed over to the far back table and spoke with them.

As the couple moved to a different table, they apologized for taking our reserved table, and I was pretty confused. We never reserved a table. I took the women's looks in and could spot some parts of her appearance she shared with Alessio and the rest of those Mihails.

Vito moved our drinks, and I followed him to the other table at the back of the diner. Viktor followed us, bringing his drink too. Setting into the seat, I looked ahead, meeting eyes with the young girl in the seat ahead of us. She had turned around and was looking at us. She was smiling, her two front teeth missing.

Viktor looked over at her as she said hello, and her mother scolded her for bothering other diners. She was probably six or seven, and she kept looking at me.

"Mister, your eyes are really pretty." She was looking right at me as she spoke.

"Thank you." I said.

"You have a funny sounding voice."

"It's my accent. I speak a few other languages." I said, her conversation not really bothering me. "Vito speaks funny too."

Her mother finally turned around quickly to apologize and her eyes widened when she met Vito's eyes. As if she was checking to make sure the name she heard was right. "I'm sorry, Underboss Vito. Tara, apologize for interrupting your father's boss's meal—--"

"That's hardly necessary." I said, before Vito could speak. "Vito isn't offended."

The mother had her daughter turn back around while they waited for their food. We got our meal first and finished before them. While Vito paid, I had him send dessert for the mother and the little girl, but asked him to pay their bill, too.

"That was nice of you, Ilya." Viktor said, when we got back into Vito's vehicle.

"Was it? I had to do something. The mother looked like she might pass out when she realized it was Vito." I muttered.

"Her husband works under me. He's a very useful underling." Vito said, lacking emotion.

"Did you do something to her?" I asked.

"Not that I'm aware of. Her husband has only ever been reprimanded once. But not with her present. I suppose they probably talk about my temper." Vito said.

"You did well, after having her stare at you for a while," Viktor said, and I realized he was speaking to and about me.

"She is a child. She's innocent. I don't fear her." I said, truthfully. Children were some of the most honest and gentle creatures. It was adults and situations that corrupted them.

"Viktor is right, Ilya. You did very well today." Vito praised me.

"Give me a treat, call me a good boy, and I'll be a pet." I muttered.