00 - Prologue - Ilya Russo's Point Of View.

Getting out of the car, my stomach was turning, but I pushed on. Vito was inside and he needed me. Matteo walked beside me. No idea the level of nonsense he was walking into. I knew, however, it was hard not to. I had spent so many years living in these walls. I was familiar with my surroundings and the people within them, and I knew that Vito could be in trouble. I was determined to help him, even though I was scared of my family, and Matteo had no idea the danger we were walking into.

To him, it would all seem normal. To me, this was a game of who's mentally stronger.

It filled me with a mixture of emotions as I stepped inside the house; a sense of dread, fear, and nostalgia. I could instantly smell my mother's favourite scent. The combination of raspberry and vanilla which brought back memories of my childhood. I was acutely aware of the fact that Viktor was going to test me to the limit, and I had no idea what to expect.

The paint on the walls was still the same ugly yellow, and the accents were still stark white.

"This place is stunning!" Matteo said, and I looked at him. He seemed in awe of the details of the front foyer.

"It's deceiving." I said, not sure if it was him or me. I was trying to convince of that.

My family had nothing to do with my abduction or the abuse and torture I had sustained. One might say I was punishing them for nothing. I saw it differently.

"I didn't think you would actually come home, Ilya."

Looking at the doorway leading deeper into this den of snakes, Viktor stood there, his bright white smile on display.

"I came for Vito." I said, before lifting up my sunglasses, leaving them on the top of my head.

"You look well, cousin." Viktor said, coming closer, and looking at Matteo. "You must be Matteo, Alessio's brother."

"Yes, it's a pleasure to meet you, Don Russo."

"Please, just call me Viktor."

Matteo nodded, and the interaction left a sour flavour in my mouth. Nothing about it was all particularly wowing, or out of place. I just didn't like it.

"Your mother and father are in the dining room with Vito. Lunch has just been served. Follow me," Viktor said. Matteo asked him questions while we walked to the dining room, and I lagged behind, taking everything in.

The door's to the dining room were open and I could hear Vito as I walked in. My parents, and Vito, looked at us, and I took in the bruises, and cuts I could see on his face alone. Anger shot through me, and I felt someone touch my hand. Matteo touched my hand and spoke. "He's ok, Ilya."

"I want to leave." I muttered. Viktor turned, and his lips set into a frown.

"Come sit, we are having one of your favourites."

Against my better judgement, I sat down at the table. I wanted to ask Vito everything, but there were too many eyes on me. My mother, my father and Viktor.

I looked up, met eyes with my mother. She flinched. I knew how cold and angry my eyes were. I looked at them every day.

"Vito was telling us all about your improvements lately." Viktor said, trying to make conversation, and Matteo too was talking about all my improvements.

"So you thought it wise to use Vito to get me to come see you?" I said, barely holding back the venom in my tone.

"Ilya, that is no way to speak to your cousin." My father said,

"And using an injured man as a hostage is any better?" I said, lifting the glass of water up to my mouth. Matteo said nothing, but you could see I did not disappoint him.