Chapter 6: Noodles, Baos and Bingsu

It has not even been a month since I launched this volume and already more than 1.7k reads? Am I dreaming? It even has a few rankings as well?!

Thank you my dear gentle readers! I am happy this is getting off to a good start! I love this community so much!

P.S Finally finished generating food images for my story! Anytime you see a food chapter title, an illustration or two will be there. I already finished Volume 1 as so please feel free to re-read it.

Belmont's POV:

"How fares the situation at Chang' An, Lord Sai." I threw a topic that should preoccupy us for some time.

"The city is thriving under the Heavenly Emperor's rule. New foods have been popping up now and then."

"Oh? Like what?"

"The Crescent Hotpot, a famous restaurant house has been selling glass candy fruits skewers and people seem to have loved it. Rising Phoenix introduced a new watercress mushroom meatbun for the Holy monks who are vegetarians." Ming Sai said. "My master recently completed his Eight Fortune Baos and the royal court loved the different flavors he made."

"Wow. Food culture in the streets of Chang'An is at an all time high lately." I nodded. "We are also undergoing a bit of a food Renaissance."

I then explained to them why Prince Oshu became so enamored with the food.

The men looked both intrigued and impressed. According to them, women in Ming rarely venture out of their houses once married albeit with the exception of female servants belonging to a few martial arts and religion sects. Their main duties are to maintain the household and bear heirs for their husbands."

"She....is sounds very interesting, Your Highness." Lord Sai pulled out a fancy looking fan and cooled himself. "But very headstrong."

"Not into headstrong females?" I teased the young lord.

"Every Chang'An man prefers a gentle and sweet lady." The young commander scoffed. "It is the first two desirable virtues of a filial wife."

"I see."

"But there are strong minded females in Ming. I was just fortunate not to have met one yet."

I wonder how will Lady Alaina think about that remark.....

"I see. The duchess is the second powerful female in our society after the Queen in this kingdom. She is a very wonderful chef whose cafe business revived the Third Ring district and made it prosper."

"You mean....the one called Cafe Terra? We have eaten there several times in disguise! They are the only establishment offering rice meals!" Ai Ren asked. "The meats were a little different from our traditional ones but they pair so well with rice! They were so delicious!"

"Are you telling me that the genius behind that cafe is owned by the duchess?"

When I confirmed it, they were even more eager to meet her.

I grinned. So these diplomats are actual fans of the Cafe too.

As we agreed to visit the cafe together one of these days...

The duke came back and I noticed that he looked like he was in a better mood as he told everyone that dinner is served so we can adjourn to the dining room.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Welcome, Prince Belmont and esteemed guests." Milford and a few maids greeted us.