Chapter 1: The Queen Makes her Move

Margaret's POV:

Spring is now in full bloom.

The last dregs of snow has melted and I could hear the loud chirping of those infernal bluejays again.

As I got up, pulled on the bell rope and waited for my maids to come help me prepare for the day.

As they made my bath and helped me undress while another picks my gown for the day...

My thoughts were centered on one person.

Duke Ezran is now back at the capital.

My perfect match.

The most eligible noble in the kingdom.

I bit my lip and clenched my fists as I remembered our last meeting.

That was around the time I graciously left Dranvelle to deliver the best food to the army at Guthrie.

And I even did my best to make a feast fit for a duke but all I received from him was a sharp rebuke for my hard work.

Ugh! Apparently my attempt to get that upstart's female protégé in trouble failed according to my sources.

And soon that bitch herself came to Guthrie and my spy said that she and the duke were inseperable.

Grabbing a small figurine near the table, I threw it on the nearest wall; watching it shatter as my anger boiled.

The maids flinched and grew pale but I gave them a cold stare which made them work even faster.

How dare she.....steal the role of duchess from me.

The place beside the most beautiful man in this kingdom.

That position belongs to me! It should have been mine!

---------------------------------------------

After a light breakfast, I found myself on a carriage ride towards the best restaurant in the First Ring district.

La Maison Victoire.

It was an exclusive restaurant that serves nobles from viscounts to royalty and is the usual venue for holding diplomat meetings.

Miranda said that someone wanted to meet me and demanded that I come immediately.

Pretentious busybody.

I know that she is the First Princess but she should really learn how to word her summons in a less aggressive manner.

No matter, we are allies going after one goal for now.

And that is to drive away the current duchess of Aisenburg away.

By any means necessary.

----------------------------------------------

"My humblest Apologies, Princess. For my late arrival."

Moments after I gave my name to the maître d, he immediately bowed deeply and immediately asked a server to take me to one of the private rooms.

Not everyone can afford a private dining room in La Maison Victiore.

That moment I saw Miranda, I did the customary.

"Rise. Lady Lorax and take a seat."

Startled, I straightened to see a figure seated in the shadowed part of the room, wearing a veil to cover her face. Her clothes were made of the finest silk and her small dainty hands were encased in black gloves