I Spy With My Little Tongue

Carbs knocked on the front door. Gage opened it. "Greetings, chap! What brings you here?"

"Hi, I just wanted to-" Carbs stopped when someone inside Gage's house spoke.

"Who's there, Gage?" Emelda wondered.

"It's Carbs!" Gage answered. "Come on in, Cx(H2O)y." Before they went inside, Gage noticed the tennis ball still on Carbs' blade. "Oh, my apologies, let me get that for you." They grabbed the ball, tugging it and sliding it off the blade. They then invited Carbs inside.

Carbs reluctantly stepped inside. Gage's parents and godparents were at the dining table, whilst their aunt and grandma were on the couch. Gage sat at the dining table, Carbs sitting in the empty chair next to them. Gage then proceeded their speech about different types of binoculars.

"The porro prism binoculars often have a clearer image than the roof prism pair of binoculars. This is because the the lenses are further apart, so they increase triangulation, which improves depth perception when you peer through them."

Gage's family stared at them, not understanding a word they just said.

"Nobody cares, nerd." Charles teased. "So anyways, how are you, Carbs?"

"... Yeah, I'm good." Carbs nervously blurted, double checking her posture.

"You were good at that water gun fight yesterday." Alfred commented.

"Goodness, Gage's aim with a water gun is terrible." Dorothy mocked.

"My aim with a bow and arrow is immaculate, Dory!" Gage tried to defend themselves.

"She was insulting your aim with a water gun." Martha specified.

Gage's family kept laughing amongst each other about random moments as Gage inspected the two different binoculars on the table. 

Charles poked Gage on the shoulder. "Hey, this is a no nerd zone, go be a nerd somewhere else." He joked.

Gage placed the binoculars down on the table, standing up out of their seat. "Fine, but that means you won't receive any spontaneous fun facts." They walked off to their room, being made fun of by their family as they went.

Carbs softly waved to their parents and godparents, silently following Gage into their room. She walked around to the other side of the bed, sitting next to them as they wrote down notes in a notebook.

Martha looked at the binoculars as the people around her still kept making fun of the nerd. She picked one of them up, being stopped by Charles.

"This is still a no nerd zone, either put that down or scram."

"Yeah, Marth. Scram, you bloody nerd." Alfred joked.

"All right, all right." Martha rolled her eyes, taking both pairs of binoculars outside of the house with her.

She shut the front door, then noticed a hedge that was in perfect view of Gage's bedroom window. She snuck past the window, crouching in the bush and using one of the binoculars to peek at Gage and Carbs. She saw that Carbs was staring at Gage's notebook as they wrote more notes.

Martha continued watching, not much happening. A few minutes later, a car pulled up near Gage's house, someone stepping out. Martha turned to it, curious, seeing Joyce glancing through the window as well.

"Joyce?" 

Joyce got a bit of a fright, not realising Martha in the bush. "Hello?"

"It's Martha, Gage's mum. You might want to hide in the hedge, they could see you otherwise."