25 | Do I have to repeat myself?

[-Grayson-]

"Finally." Eve collapsed onto the couch, legs outstretched. "The long weekend."

I chuckled, tossing my bag onto the back of a chair. "Pack up, though. We're leaving in an hour to meet up with Forrest. They're driving."

She scrunched her nose, stretching. "You're kidding. An hour?"

"Knowing you, you'll take a shit ton of time deciding what you want to bring." I stated, jutting my thumb to her room. "You should get going, right?"

She pinched my arm as she passed me. "I'm going because I want to, not because you told me to." She grumbled under her breath some more before hauling a luggage out of her closet.

"Josie said she sent a list for you to pack. Forrest sent me one too." I called out from my room and I heard her snort.

"This is starting to feel like a scavenger hunt." She said and I laughed, shaking my head.

Ma called me yesterday, Gabby showing up when I answered. She found my contact while she stole Ma's phone. I couldn't explain how much I was looking forward to visiting them.

Eve and I haven't discussed what happened that night. But everything was easy with her now. Neutral, I guess you could say. I could read her like the back of my hand. When she wants to eat out, when she's right about to shut me out, when she's thinking too much, when she's in her own world and when she's putting on an act for new people we meet.

Next time I checked the time on my phone, we were already five minutes late. I hauled my backpack onto my shoulder and suitcase behind me. I knocked on her door and she swung it open, a sour expression on her face as she talked on the phone.

I followed her out and stayed silent as she rolled her eyes at whoever was on the other line. "I have other things to do tomorrow... Yes, Dad. Those days too." I'm so sorry. She mouthed at me. "Besides, you guys still have work to do." She remarked. "Arsinoe can drive herself. Besides, I returned the rental the second after we got here. I'm busy, with... things?" Her voice went an octave higher.

I sighed and tapped her shoulder as we waited for the elevator to stop at our floor. "Give me the phone." I whispered.

She covered the microphone with her hand and frowned. "What?"

"The phone. I'll talk." I repeated, giving her a break.

Without much argument, she slapped it into my palm.

"Hi, Mr. Amherst." I greeted with much more enthusiasm than I intended. 

"Who is this?"

"This is her..." I glanced at her as we stepped into the elevator. "...roommate. We're taking a trip with other friends this weekend, so she's going to be unable to attend whatever you wanted her to do."

A sputtered cough. "What's your name?"

"Grayson Ramírez-Vasquez Delgado, sir." I introduced. That was excessive. Eve mouthed at me again and I shushed her with a hand on her mouth. She licked my palm and I wiped her spit on her cheek.

Her laugh must've been audible because he said, "Is that her? Thank you for telling me. And remind her that she's welcome home anytime. I don't think my wife will mind your presence either."