11 | Not up for negotiating

[-Grayson-]

I opened the door just a fraction to stop Eve from falling out of the car. I brushed the hair out of her face, not even caring that I possibly looked strange to others.

I took out my phone and recorded her snoring for three seconds. I'm going to use that against her later. 

I contemplated waking her up as I weighed the pros and cons. 

I swept an arm under her knees and one carefully below her back. I picked her up, finding out she was extremely light. Two things came into my mind. One after another.

Has she been eating?

Why do I care?

I slammed the car shut with my foot and locked it with keys in my hand. Eve squirmed, for a second I thought she was awake, but her head settled against my chest, sighing. I shifted her into a more comfortable position as I entered the elevator.

Thank God there wasn't anyone in here with me.

If any of the guys caught me carrying a girl, they would hold it against me forever. 

Yet again... totally worth it.

I managed to make it up the few stairs to our apartment and I unlocked the door with the key card under her legs. Her weight barely bothered me, which somehow bugged me even more.

Her nose brushed my chest and I grew stiff, unfamiliar to the sudden contact. Oblivious in her sleep, she tucked herself closer to me, her arms clasped to her chest.

Her hair was still slightly wet and I wondered if she wanted to take a shower first. I bit my lip, but decided to let her rest after today.

If she woke up, she would probably beat me up for it, thinking she's a burden on others. I also just wished she knew that no one would think of her so lowly. She'd hit my arm and tell me to wake her up next time.

I took a sweep around her room and it was filled with art supplies and a specific corner just for studying. 

I set her onto her bed and pulled the white comforter onto her body. I gave myself some time to admire the angel laying in front of me. She's stubborn as always, unwilling to cooperate and that's what keeps catching my attention.

I picked up a pen and a sticky note, plastering it onto her bedside table. I quickly jotted down some words.

I hope you slept well. Keep the clothes.

I placed the pen down tentatively, wondering if I wrote too little―maybe too much? I shook it off and glanced at her one more time before shutting off her lamp.

"Anyone down to go out tmrw?" My phone went off with the notification. It was from Yousef in the volleyball group chat.

I met Yousef during my years in elementary school, along with Noah and Ezra. He's one of the first friends I've made and probably the most extroverted out of our whole friend group. Talks to too many people to be honest, parents love him, kids love him. 

"Can't, sorry. I have to study for midterms." Noah replied, then added, "Bc, yk, being smart and shit."

Noah has been tutored over the summer and his grades have been slowly improving. Normally, his goals were in sports, but news flash, his parents won't approve unless he graduates. He's been through a lot with me and cancelled some games just to take care of Gabby when I have to look over Ma.