7 | Absolute Gibberish

[-Grayson-]

"I had a more civil conversation with your father. Over the phone, of course." Ma told me over Facetime, adjusting her camera.

I sighed, spinning on my swivel chair. "What happened?"

"He said he was sorry. He drank too much a-and it was an out of body moment. Mi cariño, it's been a few months and this is the first time it's happened in a while." She rubbed a hand over her distressed face.

"Ma, do you really want Gabby to be living a life like this?"

She shook her head once, shamefully admitting it. "You're my first son. I care for you."

I wish I was there to hug her. Instead, I wrapped my own arms around my knees, bringing them to my chest. "I know you do, Ma. I also know this is hurting you. Please  tell me that you're okay. I want our life to finally be normal again."

"I-I think I'm okay. Everything will  be normal once your father finally-"

"He isn't my father." I snapped, my voice softening when her chin wobbled. "He stopped being my father since I was born. How can you even trust that man? He's been nothing but harmful to you."

"Please give David one more chance, I'm begging you." Her voice cracked.

"Don't beg me for anything, Ma. I ran out of chances to give. I just don't see it." Her silence resumed for several seconds before I decided to change the subject. "Where's Gabriella?"

She wiped her face. "I think she's playing with her dolls downstairs. She's getting a bit lonely. She only has a few friends at school."

"Can I see her?" I asked and she brought her phone down the staircase, flipping the camera around to Gabby. 

"Grayson! Hi!" Gabby waved with a crayon in hand. She reaches for the phone and Ma let her.

"Hi, Gab. How's your day been?" I questioned, smiling. It's been a while since I saw her. 

She waved a piece of paper in front of the camera. She was moving too much for me to see the actual drawing. "Look! I did you, Mommy, me and Daddy." Gabby pinched each side of the page and I saw it clearly now.

I could feel my smile drop, yet I tried my best to keep up the appearance. There were four stick figures: Me holding—which I assumed was—Gabby's hand, then Ma with her bright pick handbag. After was our 'dad' with a question mark replacing his face.

"Oh, mi cariño..." Ma trailed off, as if she doesn't know what to say.

"It's okay." I muttered, dismissing whatever she was going to dispute. "It's beautiful, Gab." I said, beaming, trying to wave off the heavy weight on my chest.

 "I know, right! I want to be those people who draw." She ventured, already starting on the back of the paper.

"An artist?" I suggested, scratching the back of my neck. Gabby's too young to think about her future, but it's nice that she found something she loves.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you said." She muttered and sighed tiredly. "Grayson when are you coming back? I miss you." She leaned her head onto her tiny fist and made a sad face at me.