14 | Luscious locks

[-Grayson-]

"You. Did. Not." Alaina hissed and Eve.

She giggled and it was a once in a lifetime sight. "What? I think you guys would be adorable."

"Evelyn!" She scolded and the other girls laughed silently. "Oh, shut up, guys." 

I just woke up and I haven't decided if I should interject in their conversation. I flipped around to find Wyatt and Forrest awake too. Wyatt made eye contact with us and shook his head.

We shared a look and busted out cackling. It was way too early in the morning to be laughing, but Forrest and I couldn't help it. We gave subtle signals of pointing at Alaina and him, squealing like pubescent teenagers.

"Is your maturity in the room with us?" Wyatt asked, talking loudly over our wheezing. The others were still in a deep sleep, unflinching to the noise.

After our laughter dissolved, the girls eyed us suspiciously. "Way to wake up, I guess." Val shrugged. "Men." She muttered.

"Uh, excuse me?" Forrest asked, gesturing at the people present in the room.

"Excused." Josie said.

"Damn, I can't even be mad at you."

She walked over and squished his cheeks together to make him look like a fish. "I know." She pecked his lips, preparing to leave again. 

He grabbed her waist, pulling her back. "Nope. Come here." He dragged her onto the couch with him, she squealed but didn't resist. I inwardly smiled. They both deserved each other. So much.

We all gathered into the living and quietly made a conversation while waiting for Noah, Ezra and Yousef to wake up. They stayed up the latest, of course they were, probably gossiping about weird shit.

Eve settled herself into her spot beside me like yesterday, which was the only seat available. "Morning."

Her normal smiley self was gone and was replaced with a mask of weariness. Her hair was dishevelled, purple bags were appearing beneath her eyes. The question of 'are you okay'  lingered on the tip of my tongue, itching to get the words out. 

The only thing that made the weight on my chest lighter, is the happiness in her eyes. It shone so brightly that it could make a stranger's day. Not all contentment has to have a smile. Her hands weren't fidgeting as they normally would with all these people. 

She's more comfortable with us. I observed.

She doesn't say anything much after, but nothing has to be said. It just... shows.

It's in the eyes. Ma would tell me. It's always in the eyes.

But right now, her eyes were red rimmed and my body went on full alert. "Were you crying?" I said softly just as Forrest asked the same thing.

She smiled tentatively, hopeful. "Yeah. Nothing bad, I promise."

"Okay." 

What the fuck is wrong with me? Get your words straight.

"You have bed hair." She pointed out. 

I opened my mouth to make some snarky response, but she ran her hand through my hair in an attempt to fix it. No one was paying attention to us and took this chance to close my eyes and savour the moment.

I haven't been touched since... well, a while. I never initiated it or appreciated it.

Just this one time.