20 | Kick their asses

{~Evelyn~}

I haven't been to a sports related game since middle school, meaning I had no idea how my attire should look.

"Do you normally go for fancy-ish or basic?" I asked, Val who was sprawled across the bed sheets. I had two options I held out on either side of me and she pointed at the one on my right.

"Basic, for sure." I changed into a beige crewneck sweater and shorts, feeling comfortable. "Hurry up! Alaina you've been hiding in the washroom for hours." She groaned, not caring much about to game at all.

"I'm not hiding, dumbass."

I opened my text messages to see new texts from Grayson. "Do you think you guys could come over earlier?" "I asked Coach and he said it was fine." "Are you ignoring me on purpose?" "This isn't funny. I'm in a moment of distress." "Eveeeee."

I snorted to myself. "Grayson texted me and wanted to ask if we wanted to go earlier."

"I'm down." Val's voice was muffled from the sheets.

Alaina peeked her head out and adjusted her sleeves. "Count me in. Your man's waiting."

I rolled my eyes and gestured at her. "Look at you. Don't think you can fool us, Al."

She blushed and looked down at her feet. "Shut up."

"No way. Don't worry you look hot." Val said, rolling onto her side.

"But like, do you think he likes me? I mean, I've been pretty mean to him." She muttered.

I rubbed her arm affectionately. "Fuck yeah. Wyatt's all over you, pretty much. I even sent you photo evidence." She laughed, smacking my shoulder.

"So is-"

"Ready!" Josie yelled, "I heard we're going early, so let's move it."

"Yeah. Coming over right now. Where do we go to?" 

"Locker room's around the back where the rest of the team is. " He replied almost immediately.

"Got it. Should I ask why?"

"You might help calm my nerves." Butterflies took flight in my chest and I batted them away.

"Eve, I don't know what he just said, but get over here." Josie called from the door, waiting for me.

I sensed the pink creeping up my neck, and I shoved my phone into my pocket. "Sorry. Coming."

She locked the door and linked her arm in mine, steering me to the exit of the apartment building. "Stop being sorry for something minimal." I nodded and mocked saluted.

"He said to meet them in the locker room. Do you know where that is?" I asked and side glanced at her. 

"I've been there once, it's connected to the gym." She supplied, pointed to a heavy wooden door when we arrived.

Val pushed the boys locker room without care and shouted, "We're here." And waited for them outside.

Alaina scanned the gym, frowning. "Why is it so empty?"

Forrest poked his head out, and raised his eyebrows. "Maybe because you're an hour early. We need to warm-up first and the other team should arrive later on."

"An hour?" I blurted out and Grayson emerged a second later. "How early did you want us here?" I asked him quizzically.

Don't look. Don't look. Don't look—Fuck, I looked.

He had a different jersey than all the other players on the team, a white long-sleeved shirt that hugged his muscular body perfectly. Elbow pads and knee pads, showcasing his jacked arms and legs.