*.*.*.**-

"Can we just pull them out?"

"No, they're not done."

"They look done to me."

Kai opened the oven, poking one of the cupcakes with a wooden stick. When he pulled it out, it still had the batter sticking to its surface.

"That looks done to you?" They raised an eyebrow. Cole groaned and stood up. "Come on, help me with the frosting."

"It just smells so good."

"How did you survive all those years on your own?" Kai laughed.

"I'm not that bad, okay? I can follow a recipe when it tells you everything you have to know... But buying stuff that's already finished is way easier."

They worked on the frosting as the cupcakes baked on their own in the oven. Cole spent most of their work doing anything but helping because he found it endearing how Kai managed to focus on the process while avoiding Cole's attacks.

It took a while before the cupcakes were finally baked enough and the frosting was finished. Then they had to decorate them and it was killing Cole because all he wanted was to finally eat them, why did they have to make so many steps? So much work just to eat it right away.

"Now?"

"Wait."

"Come on," Cole whined. "What's still missing?" Kai looked over the cupcake in his hand, then glanced at Cole, then back t the cupcake. They moved quickly, raising their hand to Cole's face until his nose and mouth were covered with the frosting. They laughed as Cole flinched away.

"That's for your 'help', babe."

"That is so  mean."

"Learn your lesson or next time you'll end up way worse."

Cole narrowed his eyes, wiping the frosting off his face. "Is that a threat?"

"Nah," Kai stretched the word before biting into the cupcake. "Just letting you know about the terms and conditions."

"You little thief!" Cole picked up one of the cupcakes as well and smeared that frosting over Kai's face in the same fashion Kai did to him.

"No! That's wasting!"

Cole put a hand to his ear. "Did you hear something?" he said, which earned him a handful of flour into his face. A war ensued and the cupcakes got forgotten for a while until they both tired themselves out.