*-*

[put this quickly together on a bus, i am going on a trip so dont expect any updates for at least a week]

Kai glanced up at him from his book before doing a double take.

“What?”

Cole shook his head, getting out of a mild trance. “What?”

“Why are you looking at me like that? With that frown and all… I'm trying to read here?”

Cole sighed and put aside the magazine he's been ignoring ever since he picked it up to flick through it. It was a lost cause from the beginning anyway. This was just him finally admitting defeat.

“Something's bothering you. What is it?”

“What?” Now it was Kai who was looking at the other with a frown on his face.

“You're just… You've been kinda bummed out lately, what's up?”

“What should be up? I'm doing great.”

“See? Now that's the part where you're wrong.” Cole poked at him with his index finger. “Something's up with you.” He leaned his face closer, making Kai lean back in turn. “Did I do something?”

“You? No! No, you didn't do anything!”

Cole raised a brow, scepticism taking over his face. But he shrugged it off. “If you say so… But if there's anything you want to talk about, I'm here, okay? Just so you know.”

He watched Kai nod and turn their attention back to the book. Cole's eyes followed his and he just sat there, watching the book because there was nothing else to do anyway and the worries were weighing him down. Maybe he was overthinking it but since his last visit, it felt like when they were together, Kai was thinking about something. He was just so uncharacteristically silent. And a part of Cole was conflicted. Could this be about his conversation with Nya? Did Kai overhear them? And if so, what did it mean? Did he scare Kai off? Or maybe… but that couldn't be it… Or could it?

He just wasn't sure what was behind all the silence and all the theories and worries made him spiral faster and faster.

Still, part of him couldn't help but feel a little tingly at the idea that Kai might be thinking about them, their relationship, thinking about where it all might be leading to…

Cole flinched when Kai shut the book close, sitting up. They put it away, letting jt join the magazine. Their eyes met but Kai quickly looked away again.

“I'm sorry,” he murmured.

Cole frowned in confusion and scooted closer. “What are you sorry for?”

Kai fumbled with the hem of his sleeve, his eyes focused on it, away, far away from Cole's. “You obviously don't like being recognised for your dad and it was literally the first thing I did when you told me your name and I just… I can't stop thinking about it. You never said anything but it's so obvious it hurts you when it happens and now I don't know how many times I messed up like that.”

“How did you come up with that?” Cole asked, his voice so soft he was curious how did Kai even hear it. Then again, Kai himself was speaking rather lowly. Only the music could disrupt their words in the peaceful room. He carefully touched Kai's shoulder, unsure if he could or not but since Kai didn't react to the contact, he jumped in and just held him close.

“When Nya met you, you… you completely lit up when she said she recognises you for your designs. You were like… sunshine, it made you so happy. And before it, you just looked so disappointed so I figured… I should've known by your messages though…”

“Don't worry about it, Kai, it's fine.”

“No, it's not, Cole!” Kai snapped, moving away from him. Cole's hand hung in the air until the shock washed over and he let it fall down into his lap. “You always do this, you always shrug things off, but it's not fine and I know that myself—”

Kai froze and Cole could only frown further.

“Damn it…” they breathed.

“What do you mean by that?”

“I just…” They sighed and bent over, hiding his face behind his hands. Patiently watching them, Cole wondered what was about to come. Should he be scared? Or maybe they will just pretend the conversation never happened. He himself wasn't even sure what he wanted to come. Curiosity was sparking inside him, sure, but he didn't want to pry; he didn't want Kai to share something because they felt there was some pressure to do so.

“My name's not just Smith,” he muttered into his hands.

“Oh, is it Only Smith, then?”

At least he got a weak chuckle out of him. But just like sparks, it died out in the blink of an eye.

“No, Cole… My name's–” He took a deep, shaky breath, Cole holding his own as he felt the atmosphere tense up more and more with each second. “My name's Kai Smith-Garmadon.”

Cole felt his mouth open but there just weren't any words in his mind he could voice out loud. So it just hung there. And he felt ridiculous, helpless and quite the asshole when he studied the strained expression on Kai's face.

“I always hates the way people looked at me and my siblings whenever they learned our names. Always with their judgy stares, always with the ‘The Garmadon?’” Kai sighed, Cole tried to regain his composure so he could comfort them, and the clocked ticked obnoxiously loud. “It got to the point we all often just don't say our full names… Because it just felt awful. And I did the same thing to you…”

Cole shook his head, putting his arm around Kai's shoulders. “Come on, that's not comparable…”

“Isn't it, though?” Kai ran a hand down his face. “I just can't get it out of my head, you looked so happy…”

He rolled the words over in his mind a few times before he dared speak up. But this seemed to be the time to be honest with them as well. An exchange of sorts.

“Look, I… It… does suck that people often recognise me only for the legacy of my dad's dancing group. At a time i kind of resented him for that but it was a difficult time overall… The thing is, I really wanted to make a name for myself and all those reporters care about is my dad. They barely even ask about my mum too… I learned how to live with it anyway. I'm putting in hard work and it'll pay off someday, I'm sure.” He shook Kai a little and putting a smile on, he pulled him closer. “But that's an entirely different situation. I don't mind you knwoing my dad because I know you care about me and that's what matters the most.”

At last, Kai smiled again. And this time, his lips remained upturned. Cole could breathe a little lighter now.

“I still feel kinda shitty.”

“Oh, then I guess I will have to get your mind off things… Sounds like thaz could be a–” he smirked, “–walk in the park.”

Kai nodded, their smile only growing as they caught onto his intent. Cole stood up, taking Kai's hands to pull him up but the other stayed still. Their eyes met.

“His brother adopted us, by the way,” he said. “Not Garmadon Garmadon… If you were wondering.”

“I was rather wondering which ice cream place you would prefer but I appreciate you telling me.” He was thrilled to see the genuine smile copy his and finally, Cole pulled Kai up, their bodies perhaps a little too close for comfort yet neither of them seemed to mind.