..*-*.

"Nya, this is an emergency!"

"Stop screaming in your phone!"

"You are screaming too!"

"Because I need to outscream you so you can even hear me!" He could hear her groan once he finally quieted down. Not that it helped stop his restless pacing around his flat. "What is going on? I swear if it is-"

"No! No, I swear it's not about anything like that!"

"Then what do you want?"

"Wow, you're really enthusiastic to talk to your own brother," Kai deadpanned. Then scolded himself internally for wasting time.

"I would be nicer if he didn't just rupture my eardrum! What's the emergency?"

Kai flopped down on his couch but stood up again once he remembered the nap he shared there with Cole. Speaking of Cole-

"I need you to come here ASAP."

"That didn't answer my question at all but all right."

"Oh! And bring Pixal too, okay? For good measure."

"Sweet master... this better be something important."

"My life depends on it!"

"Sure. See ya, bro."

And once his phone fell silent, Kai flopped back down on the couch and groaned into the cushions.

.

"Why did you have to drag me outside," Kai complained, spreading his arms as Pixal helped him put on another jacket.

"Nothing in your closet is acceptable to wear outside," said Nya, standing in front of them, her arms crossed, her eyes squinted as she judged the clothes. Kai stared blankly back at her.

Once Pixal dusted him off, she went to stand next to Nya and they both judged the new clothes. Kai wasn't feeling the best under their gazes, despite asking for it themself.

"Too boring." was Nya's final judgement and Pixal went to help clean up. With a frustrated sigh, Kai started taking the clothes off while Nya went to look for more.

"I have plenty good clothes..." he muttered, handing Pixal the black jacket.

"Well, you did ask Nya to help you make a good impression. She's your sister, you know how she gets."

"Yeah, yeah..." He looked around, unable to spot the raven hair between all the hangers and figurines. "But I can't even afford anything here! I bet we could've come up with something good at home."

"For the last time, Kai, I'm paying, don't worry about that. Plus, you can wear it to more places! It's not a one-time outfit, this will come in handy in all sorts of formal events."

"I can't accept that, Pix," replied Kai as they unbuttoned the white shirt they were wearing. 

"Will it help if I tell you that after this I won't be getting you any gifts for your birthday this year?"

"Great. Now you just made it even worse." They chuckled while Kai changed the white shirt for a black one. He was just putting his second arm through the sleeve when something caught his eye. Walking over to the rack, he exclaimed, "Woah, look at this one!" and took the hanger with a black jacket with red detailing that was subtle but made the clothes look like cracked ground above a magma pool.

Pixal watched as he buttoned the shirt and put on the jacket, she hummed as he turned around.

"It suits you well and you seem to like it. I think it's a good choice."

"See? I don't even need Nya. 'Nothing in your closet is acceptable to wear outside.'" Kai scoffed.

"No. Oh no. Come on!" They both turned to see Nya with several hangers with jackets in her hands which now fell down by her sides. "Are you kidding me?"

"I think it's great! You just hate everything I like."

"That is incorrect," said Pixal. "Nya loves me and as far as I'm aware, you're rather fond of me too." To which Kia huffed.

"You and that stupid red colour," Nya muttered in annoyance as she walked back into the labyrinth of coat hangers to return everything she came with because all three of them knew Kai wasn't going to change his pick.

"As if you weren't even worse with it as a kid!" Kai yelled after her.

After that, the shopping went somewhat faster. They got a cummerbund and a bowtie that complimented the colours, they worked on the lapel and, to finish it all off, they helped Kai pick out some cufflinks.

Once they got back to Kia's apartment, Kai tried everything on, turning around in front of a mirror. In all his excitement, he quickly pulled out his phone, when their sister caught their wrist and stopped him.

"What are you doing?"

"I wanted to-" He pointed helplessly at his phone, confused by Nya's stern face.

"No! Are you crazy? You can't show him anything yet, you'd lose the element of surprise!"

"But-"

"Trust me, Kai, there's nothing like showing up in a cool, fancy outfit out of nowhere. You wanna get him? Surprise him! He'll swoon all over you, I swear."

Kai ripped his wrist from her hold. "I know how to seduce people."

"Sure. I called myself and Pixal here to help you to," she did air quotes, "'make an impression' on my own! It totally wasn't you who-"

"Fine!" Kai cut her off. "I get it." Then he turned to Pixal who patiently watched their bickering with a  small smile. "Can I at least make you a dinner to make this up to you?"

"Well, I cannot say no to your cooking."

"What about me?"

Kai smirked at her. "You'll just sit and watch as we eat, dumbass," he joked, pushing her away, earning himself a handful of annoyed grunts but all they did was laugh. There was too much excitement within them.