*.****-

Cole blew some air out of his mouth, almost throwing his sketchbook aside but instead, he began flipping through it again. In hopes of getting some inspiration, he kept looking through his rough sketches and old designs over and over, even though it didn't help at all so far.

"What's up? Did you miss me that much?" Kai sat down next to him, taking a sip of his drink.

Cole sighed. "I don't know, it's just... I feel kind of juiced of ideas, you know what I mean?"

"You're still uninspired?"

"Well, I've been working on some things but... they just lack the spark..."

Kai pointed to the sketchbook while putting the glass away on the table. "Can I look?"

"Sure." Leaning his head sideways against the backrest of the couch, Cole watched as Kai slowly went through the pages, taking time to look at each design, each sketch carefully. Watching him put him at ease, the stress he felt from his lack of creativity slowly washing away. He wished everything could be that easy. All he would have to do was look at Kai and take his hand and everything would be fine. What a nice world to live in.

"I would love to look inside your brain, there are so many great ideas."

Cole chuckled at the comment, not really feeling the sentiment but he appreciated it. "Which one do you like?"

"I like the peacock dress and tailcoat. What a cool way to destroy gender norms."

"You'd look great in it." He saw Kai glance at him out of the corner of their eyes.

"The dress or the tailcoat?"

"You'd rock both, honestly. I mean, I think you'd look perfect in anything." That's when Cole caught himself. It was too easy to let his brain wander away. He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, too flustered to continue looking at him. "I mean– I just think you're overall very handsome, that's all."

Kai hummed. He wasn't looking at him, too consumed with the pages covered in broken coal dust. He flustered himself over nothing. It was ridiculous, all those things Kai made him feel and they didn't even have to put in any effort. "I think these clockwork dungarees are pretty good too. It's subtle but I mean not everything has to be extravagant, right?"

Then he looked at him.

"You're seriously skilled, Cole."

"Thanks." Kai was for sure going to be able to keep him warm in the winter. Was that thinking too far ahead? "I just wish my brain agreed and settled on something."

"Well, maybe you just have to force it. Maybe if you work on something you'll reboot it, in a way, you know?"

"What do you recommend?" Cole shuffled closer, burying his fingers into Kai's hair, gently massaging his scalp.

Kai relaxed his body, his head resting on the backrest like Cole's. "I'd say the dungarees should be an easy treat."

"All right, I'll try it. Thanks, love."

Kai turned his head and their eyes met. Cole could swear there were sparks all around every single time this happened. He leaned in and kissed them, using his free hand to throw the sketchbook aside. Once that was out of their way, Cole had both hands to hold Kai close.

"You'll make me lose track of time again and you know I have places to go," Kai complained, as if he wasn't returning Cole's kisses without an issue. In fact, it was them who made them both lie down on the couch.

"But I have to reward my favourite person for being such a good boyfriend," Cole argued, a smile tugging at his lips when he felt Kai's hands travel around his waist.

Kai scoffed but that was about what they were able to do because they both very quickly got lost in their own little bubble. Bubble, in which Cole's uneasiness could be replaced with the euphoric feeling he's gotten attached to. Oh, how wonderful it was not having to hold himself back in Kai's company anymore.