twenty-nine

~~~~~~~~~~~~

more months had passed, and the days were longer and harder. they definitely weren't getting any better, either.

without neymar, christmas was boring. she didn't struggle to fall asleep on christmas eve, and she wasn't excited when the big morning came. not to upset her parents and he grandma, she put on smiles, and thanked everyone profusely for her gifts.

at the dinner table, whilst they were all eating their food, there was a knock at the door. kiania had had a feeling about what it was, and answered it herself. she ignored the small package at first, leaving it in her bedroom and going back to finish christmas day with her family.

she was too tired to open it on the night, and for the next few weeks, every time she saw it she felt embarrassed, and guilty. it only worsened when neymar called about it.

"i hope you got my gift, kia. i hope you opened the note too. it might seem sudden, but we're young, and i'm not pushing you into anything. i'm just– promising you." 

she got the gift, but she didn't open the small, creme-coloured box, or look at the note attached to it. it made her nervous, and feel nauseous. she wasn't sure why. besides, she wanted to open one of his gifts with him, not without.

after grabbing the bowl of açai her mother had left her, she made her way to the living room, taking a seat beside the phone as she started to eat, it was hot, and it was very humid in her house. she didn't have air conditioning, so she relief on the soft breeze of the fan, and the cool taste of her açai to cool her down.

per usual, the phone started to ring. she debated answering. it was neymar's birthday next month. his 18th, and she definitely wanted to talk to him beforehand. she was sure of it, but the captivating noise of the ring began to slowly put her off her decision. she hesitantly picked up the phone, but didn't answer it. so it went to voicemail.

"hi, anjo, happy new years."

her thumb moved to hover over the answer button.

"i miss you. uhm, i hope you're doing okay, i still haven't heard from you. i was hoping you were going to talk to me. i really miss you."

the guilt in her chest was starting to overwhelm her, and she wished the amount of anxiety would go away so she'd answer. 

"well, anyway. i'll see you soon. i love you, anjo."

it ended, and she regretted not answering. his words confused her though. see you soon? what was that supposed to mean? 

she was put off of her food, despite only having a few spoonfuls, so she glanced down at her pyjamas, figuring she should get changed. make herself feel somewhat better, somewhat herself. as she stood, she heard the front door open, and she glanced over, seeing her mother walking in, slightly out of breath. 

as carolina saw her daughter, she shot her a smile, "forgot my keys."

kiania gave her a small smile, "you left this morning, mamãe."

"i know, but ivan and i are working some overtime. won't be back till later." after grabbing her keys from the dining table, she walked over to kiania, pressing a kiss to her forehead, "you look pretty. i hope you feel better. te amo."

with that, she left again, leaving kiania confused again. she hopes she feels better? what is going on? was it because of the açai? she wasn't sure, but she shrugged it off with a sad sigh. her eyes caught the phone, and she reached out for it. she decided to call him. she wasn't going to pussy out anymore, she was going to be brave.