seven

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"i'm so embarrassed, ney." kiania groaned, slapping her hands over her eyes, laid back in the sand, her feet in the water.

he looked down at her. he was more embarrassed than her, especially since he almost kissed her, and told her he'd kiss her, and having to face her father the next morning. his guilty conscience was getting to him, and he was dreading the fact that she might remember it.

"why?" he answered, leaned back on his elbows beside her and running his fingers through some of the sand.

"because i got drunk." she pulled her fingers apart on her face so she could see, looking up at him. she didn't want to admit the fact that she was more ashamed of the fact that he was the one that saw her drunk. she didn't know what happened, but all she could think about was how weird and embarrassing she would've been. 

"well, everyone gets drunk at some point, kia." he avoided her eyes, hating the topic of the conversation, even though he wasn't the one that got drunk.

"but–" she sighed, pulling her hands away from her face and resting them on her stomach, "did my parents find out?"

"no, i didn't tell them." he shook his head, feeling her gaze burning into his, but refusing to meet it.

"okay. thank you." she smiled, quickly noticing his shortness and his lack of eye-contact. she immediately knew something was wrong, "what's up, ney?"

he still didn't meet his eyes, and stopped playing with the sand to lean back in it like she was, "nothing."

she furrowed her brows, sitting up and turning onto her stomach, resting her chin in her hands, "what is it? you can talk to me."

he shook his head, squinting his eyes at the sun.

she stared down at him, tilting her head a little. he had been acting like this a few times over the past few weeks, but kiania always brushed it off, not wanting to intervene on whatever was going on. she figured it was the stress of having to travel to and from santos every other day.

"what's wrong, neymar? you've been doing this a lot lately." she moved some stray hairs from his face, and cupped her hand around his eye to shield him from the sun.

he cleared his throat, blinking as the bright glow of the sun was no longer shining into his eyes. he looked up at her, but looked away just as fast, still thinking about the night before. 

kiania huffed, "what? what is it?"

he shook his head. he didn't want her to know what was on his mind, and he certainly didn't want her to know about all the feelings she'd been causing him to have lately.

"neymar, please." she rolled her eyes, "you can talk to me. talk to me."

"it's nothing, kia, just leave it." he said rather harshly, and he sat up, moving her hand from him, looking straight in front of him at the water. 

with his reactions, she felt as if she did something wrong, and she didn't know if she'd done something sober, or if it was when she was drunk. either way she didn't remember.

she rolled over and cleared her throat, sitting up as well and pulling her knees to her chest. she felt awkward, not knowing what she'd done, and she felt hurt by his harshness and shortness toward her, so she sat in silence.

he glanced over at her, watching her play with the shells on her anklet with her chin rested on one of her knees quietly. he didn't mean to be so harsh with her, and he didn't mean for his feelings to get to him.

he didn't want to say anything to her either, though, because he was afraid that she'd force his thoughts out of him somehow, so he stayed silent also. getting fed up and annoyed by the sun shining on him, he stood, brushing the sand off of him.

"i'm gonna go. i'll see you later, kiania."

she looked over her shoulder as he walked back through the walkway to the back of her house, and she waited for a few moments to stand up herself and make her way to her house.

she made sure all sand was off her and out of her hair before she walked inside, greeted by her mother in the dining room, setting the table.

"hi, kia." she smiled at her daughter, kissing her forehead. she looked over her shoulder, presuming to see her familiar companion, but she didn't, "i thought you were with neymar?"

"i was, but he had to go home." she smiled back briefly, taking the stuff to set the table from her mother, "i'll do this."

"thank you. is everything okay?"

kia nodded, starting to set the table, "yeah, everything's okay. i'm just hungry."

her mother sensed something was off, but if kiania didn't seem to want to speak about it, she didn't push. running a hand through her daughter's hair, she tutted as some sand fell from it onto the floor, before giggling softly with kiania and returning to the kitchen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~