twenty-five

~~~~~~~~~~~~

luckily, when kiania returned home, both of her parents were on their way out to get get something for dinner. presumably takeout. so, fortunately for her, they didn't really notice how out of it she was. 

she didn't really like the effects the weed had on her, and she definitely didn't want to smoke it again. it didn't make her feel anything bad, it just made her hungry, and really spaced out. all she wanted to do was to sprawl out on her bed and stare at the swirls on the ceiling, and that's what she did.

her eyes were heavy and bloodshot. she felt as if she could sink into the mattress. for the first time since she first took a hit from the blunt, a thought popped into her head. more specifically, someone – neymar.

sluggishly and slowly, she reached over and grabbed the phone from the bedside table. she checked the missed calls, but there weren't any, and she frowned, but she quickly forgot about it as she started to dial his number. it rang and rang, just like it did earlier in the day, so much to the point that she sighed, going to end it, but he picked up.

it was loud in the background, crowded with laughter and upbeat music, "yeah? hi, kia."

he had to speak loud so she could hear him, and she didn't respond for a moment. she took longer than she usually did to come up with something to say, even though it was a simple sentence, "hi."

he was quiet for a moment, "what's wrong?"

"nothing," she exhaled, tilting her head and staring down at the bracelet he gave her, "why?"

"you sound weird. are you upset?" 

"no, but," she turned her head back to the ceiling, staring up at the swirls, "how come you didn't call me?"

he didn't answer her at first, but she heard more loud talking on his side of the phone, along with laughter, and then she heard him again, "how come i didn't what?"

"how come you didn't–" she repeated but was cut off by what seemed like a girl's voice screaming his name with laughter, and then his laughter, and then talking.

she didn't know actually what it was, or the meaning behind it, but she felt a slight sting in her chest. for all she knew, it could be any girl, and she didn't have to want him like kiania had him, but her mind immediately took her to thoughts of girls that were much prettier than she was, with her hands all over him. as if she'd be rubbing it in kiania's face, since she couldn't do that. 

"in a– in a sec, i'll be there, okay? won't take long, i promise you," she heard him laugh, "what was that, kia?"

she suddenly lost all motivation, not like she needed it, to talk to him. she didn't feel hungry anymore, in fact, she didn't even want to eat anymore. it felt like she had lost all energy in her body to do anything at all, but mostly, in talking to him. she didn't know what came over her. usually, she'd be her polite little self, and make up an excuse to end the call, but she didn't. she just put the phone back in it's holster, ending the call. 

after a moment or two, it rang, and she turned her head to look at it. she didn't debate with herself on whether or not to answer it, but she waited, just listening to the loud tone of the ringing. finally, she picked it back up, holding it to her ear and humming a 'mhm?'.

"did it cut off there, anjo? hold on, júlia, in a sec." he chuckled, still speaking loud with the banging music in the background, alongside a girl saying his name over and over and over again.