twenty-one

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"what are you doing then? you miss me still? or has it worn off?"

kiania chuckled, playing with the coiled wire that attached the phone to the box, laid on her stomach on her bed. her parents had let her move the housephone into her bedroom since neymar left. it made her feel a bit better, knowing that she could just roll over and dial his number, something she'd memorised for that exact reason. it had been a few days since he left, and they'd called every day, for hours straight. 

"of course, i still miss you. it won't ware off." she smiled, "and i'm not doing anything. i am going out later, though."

"what are you gonna do?"

"well we're going somewhere, but i don't know where, so i think diego's gonna take me. he said he'd get me food on the way there, anyway, so." she shrugged thoughtlessly, looking down at her fingernails. she needed to paint them before she went anywhere.

it was quiet on the other line for a moment, "you can get your own food, though, no?"

"well, yeah, but he offered. it's kind of him." she let out a breathy chuckle, feeling slightly deflated at neymar's tone, wondering if she'd done something wrong.

"will it just be you two?"

she hummed, exhaling lightly, "i think so. he lives closer to us– me."

again, it was quiet. so quiet that kiania was wondering if the call had ended or something. before she could check the box, he spoke again, "do i know him?"

"no," she said suspiciously, "why? what's with the questions?"

"i'm just– wondering. how are you gonna get there, you gonna walk?"

"honestly, i'm not sure. i know his pai taught him how to drive, though, so we might go in his pai's car yet, but i don't know." she replied, and he was quiet again. she furrowed her brows, tilting her head slightly, "why?"

"i would've taken you."

kiania chuckled awkwardly, "well, you can't. sorry. i didn't know you missed me that much."

"i know, but– what about your other friends? the girls? can one of them take you?"

she opened her mouth to respond, but quickly furrowed her brows with a laugh, "ney, are you jealous?"

"no–" he paused, and she heard him let out a huff, "yeah, well, no, but, what if he makes a move on you? like, what if he– tries to touch you like i do? not in a sexual way, but– well, yeah, that too."

she didn't know what to say. she'd never heard something more ridiculous coming out of his mouth, and this was neymar. after a moment of stunned silence, she let out a laugh, "that is not going to happen."

"what if it does? i can't fucking be there."

she laughed again, "he's aline's boyfriend, ney."

"so? kia, you're beautiful, are you joking? if we weren't together, i'd still want you like that."

she scoffed, rolling her eyes playfully, "well, if it did, wouldn't you trust me to say 'no, i have a boyfriend'?"

he let out a defeated breath, "of course i'd trust you. i do trust you. i just– don't like sharing."

kiania giggled, letting out a breath and sitting up. she liked that he was a little protective over her. she didn't expect herself to like something like that, but she did. it made her feel all warm inside, as if she had butterflies in her stomach. she thought it was cute.