fifteen

~~~~~~~~~~~~

it was especially hot, so kiania was sat in the backyard, waiting for neymar to come so they could go to their spot together.

her mind was irritating her, though, because she couldn't stop thinking about rita's infatuation with neymar. she wasn't sure why it was plaguing her mind, but it was, and it was getting to her. it made her more upset than anything, and she couldn't help but think she might not be good enough for someone like neymar. of course, she was over-thinking it. dramatically over-thinking it, but she couldn't help it.

"kiania?" 

she turned her head to her mother, who was approaching her, sitting down in the seat next to her. 

"yes, mamãe?" kiania answered with a sigh, playing with the bracelet on her wrist, not paying much attention, the thoughts from earlier still in the back of her mind.

carolina cleared her throat, "so, you have a boyfriend now."

kiania hummed for her to go on with a slow nod of her head.

"which means, kia, that–" carolina paused for a moment, "you might want to do– some stuff."

kia furrowed her brows in confusion, still not paying much attention to her mother, "some stuff?"

carolina exhaled, "yes, filha, some stuff."

"like what? kissing?" 

her mother shrugged, "more than that."

kiania suddenly stopped fiddling with her bracelet, turning her head to face her mother. oh no.

"mamãe–" carolina cut her off.

"listen to me, filha." she began, "i just don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable with. and if you do do some stuff, then i want you to be careful. to be safe."

kiania sunk into her seat, covering her face with her hands, "you don't have to tell me this, mamãe, i'm thankful, but you don't."

"i know, i know, but if you do, and if you want to, be safe. use– use a condom." she said the last part rather quickly, finding this just as awkward as kiania was.

kiania cringed, looking away from her mother toward the back door, "okay."

"okay." carolina repeated, adjusting herself in her seat.

the mother and daughter sat in an awkward silence for a few moments. kiania avoiding eye contact with her mother, glancing anywhere but to the woman sat next to her, and carolina sat patiently, trying to get over the embarrassment she was also feeling. 

looking back to her daughter, she immediately sensed something wrong, "what's up?"

kiania finally looked into her mother's eyes, trying her best to ignore the strong urge to look away, "what?"

"what's wrong with you?" carolina reached her hand out to hold her daughter's chin, tilting her head toward her, eyes glancing over her features.

at first, kiania opened her mouth to respond with a lie, but nothing came out. she didn't want to lie to her mother about another thing, and she'd just had an even more awkward conversation with her, so she sighed, brushing her hair out of her face.

"i feel–" she paused, unsure of how to say her feelings, "i don't know, i just– i'm upset."

"why, what happened?" her mother ran her fingers through her daughter's hair, in hopes to soothe whatever she was feeling.