twenty-six

~~~~~~~~~~~~

kiania woke up groggy, and not happy. all she could think about was how different she felt the night before, and she felt bad that she'd just put the phone down on neymar. however, she also remembered how he was paying no attention to her, but to júlia. her chest felt tight, and she felt ill. she wasn't sure if it was from last night, or because of him. she felt tired again, as if she had been standing all day, and this was the first time she'd laid down.

before she could think of anything else, she heard two taps at her window. confused, she turned her head, squinting her eyes at the sun as she pulled the curtains open. on the other side stood carla and aline.

her brows knit together, even more confused at why they didn't just come in. leaning over, she pulled the window open, "what are you doing?"

"oh meu deus, are you just getting up?" aline laughed, leaning her elbows on the window.

"it's literally lunch, ki." carla snorted, tapping her watch on her wrist.

kiania's jaw dropped as she lurched forward on her stomach to look herself. the watch read 12:03, and she rubbed her eyes, "meu deus."

"i know." carla laughed too, "i think your parents are at work or something, the front door's locked."

kiania nodded sluggishly, "they will be."

aline peeked inside of her room, "heard anything from neymar?"

again, she nodded, "yeah, i called him last night."

"did he say anything?" carla asked, following aline's eyes and peeking inside the room too. 

"not–" she sighed, "not much. he was busy. with júlia."

the girls' eyes immediately flicked to kiania's tired ones, faces pulling into a shocked expression. none of them knew who júlia was, but they didn't like it one bit.

"excuse me, who?"

"i don't know, but he was paying more attention to her than me." kiania huffed, resting her chin on her hands, trying to wake herself up a bit. 

"ki, i'm sorry, and i'm not being an advocate for rita here, but that's a red flag. get rid." aline waved her hand in dismissal, shaking her head disappointedly. 

kiania's head shot back, not expecting that response. she thought they'd be shocked like her, of course, but not to the point of breaking up, "no, what? i love him."

"she's right." carla shrugged her shoulders, pointing at aline beside her, "if he's hanging out with a girl and paying more attention to her than his own girlfriend, it's a red flag. are you kidding? save yourself, ki."

"yeah, before you get really hurt. would you wanna suffer, or break it off before it gets painful?"

kiania stared between them for a few moments. she couldn't believe what she was hearing, but the more they talked, the more she believed. they were right, in a sense, but she didn't want to break up with him. she loved him, "well, i should talk to him about it first, no? like 'who is she' type?"

"you could–" aline started, but carla finished the sentence for her.

"but he can also lie. you'd never know."

she blinked, and before she knew it, she found herself nodding slightly, "uhm, i suppose that's true."

---

it started making more and more sense as she thought about what they said.

they were right. she had no way of knowing if he would be telling the truth if she talked to him about it. plus, she'd feel awful if she'd talk to him about it and he'd get angry. knowing him, he probably wouldn't, but the thought was still there. she hadn't moved from her bed in over an hour of aline and carla being there, just thinking it over, trying to talk herself into doing it.