Chapter 40

~Asher~

Damon turns and takes off into the woods. We hop over fallen trees, little creeks, and brush. We run all the way to the end of out territory and up on the cliff. We sit down to catch our breath. Thinking about Luna and everything she's been through; what we've been through together. What we were about to go through together. We need to start planning for the up coming war.

'We need to keep it together until after the war. Then, we can grieve, except tomorrow for Luna at the funeral. Tomorrow we can grieve, but after tomorrow; we need to be strong. For our pack, our family.' I tell Damon.

'Agreed.' Damon says. He stands up and walks to the edge of the cliff. He raises our head and lets out another loud, long, mournful howl. As the howl dies down, we feel a presence behind us. Damon lets me have control back. I finish the howl and act like I haven't noticed anything yet. I sniff the air, trying to catch a scent. Nothing. I look behind me. Nothing. Weird. I look back forward thinking it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I look up at the moon and stars and let out one last long howl.

Until I feel something rub against me side. I jump and spin around growling. Another wolf is next to me. A white wolf. The white wolf gets into attacking mode and growls back. I growl louder and stalk towards the wolf. While the wolf stalks and growls at me. We circle each other. The white wolf steps on a rock, sliding sideways a bit. I take the opportunity and attack. The wolf and I roll around until I'm finally able to pin it. We ended up on the edge of the cliff. The wolf pinned underneath me. I growl. The wolf tilts it's head to the side, showing me it submits. I put my head in the crook of its neck and inhale. Chocolate and caramel. The wolf moves its head and licks the side of my face and neck, giving me shivers. The wolf starts to shift back into its human form.

I can't believe it.

Luna. Luna's dead. This isn't real. This isn't real. I step back and look her over. She has my mark, she has the right body, hair, scars, and eyes, but she has a tattoo. Right where Alice bit her wrist. Luna doesn't have a tattoo.

I step back over her. I growl deep and low in my chest. She shows her neck. I put my face in the crook of her neck and lick my mark. She moans and shivers. I can feel the sparks running through me. I pull back and shake my head. This isn't real. Luna puts her arms around my neck, the best she can anyway, and says, ''it's me, Ash. It's me.'' I look at her face and notice she's crying. I shift back and hug her tightly.

"I missed you so much. Please don't leave me again. I love you, Luna." I cry into her shoulder.

"I would never leave you, but the Moon Goddess had to talk with me and had to show me things. I will explain everything later. We need to get back to the pack house. There is someone you have to meet." Luna says. I get up and pull her up with me. We walk to a bush and I grab out a spare change of clothes for Luna and I. We get dressed and I pick her up bridal style and hug her to me tightly. I don't want anyone near her, not until I know she's actually safe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~A/n~

Hey guys. I know it was another short chapter, but the next ones are going to be longer. I didn't have a lot of time to write because yesterday was my birthday and my iPod screen is broken. I'm supposed to get a new one tonight so I might update again tonight. You have to wait and see. ;)

Thanks,
~Tess.