Chapter 22 - Isadora's Legacy

Sebastian ran his fingers through his hair for what felt like the thousandth time as he anxiously paced in front of the common room fireplace. He hadn't expected to feel this nervous, it was just a conversation, not even that, it was just two simple words. I'm sorry.

He'd asked Ominis to invite Darling to work on their History of Magic assignment together here so Sebastian could approach her. She was becoming increasingly difficult to pin down as on the rare occasion that she wasn't out of the castle, she was either surrounded by friends or impossible to find all together.

Sebastian glanced over to where they were sitting by the window, the cool watery light streaming in and glinting off those pearl earrings she always wore. He suddenly felt hyper aware of how sweaty his palms were.

It seemed like an eternity since they'd last spoken, and a part of him was afraid once he opened his mouth he'd only make things worse. He still felt he was right, and the last thing he wanted was for her to think he was condoning her reckless decisions, but things couldn't go on like this.

He needed Darling's help with the tryptic. His research with the relic had hit a disturbing hitch that he didn't want to think about, the dark discovery had only served to compound the loneliness that had taken root deep within him. It seemed the relic was continually pulling him deeper into darkness while the investigation of the tryptic, while vexing, had felt bright, exciting, and full of promise.

Just as he was finally mustering the courage to go over to them, Eddy Burke sauntered across his path and took the open seat next to Darling. Anger flared and alarm bells rang in Sebastian's head. He'd warned that slimy git, he wasn't really going to try to get back at her now was he? Somehow, Sebastian didn't think attacking Eddy would help his case in convincing Darling he trusted her to look out for herself. All the same, he edged closer, determined to hear what the lanky lout was saying.

"Y'know, I've noticed you and Sebastian aren't as close as you used to be," Eddy commented casually, leaning back in his seat.

This simple remark struck a harder blow to Sebastian than he cared to admit. It was true, of course, but the fact that someone as clueless as Eddy had noticed the rift between them only made it feel wider.

"I think we got off on the wrong foot, me and you," Eddy continued. "From what I've been hearing, I think we'd get on just fine."

Sebastian's jaw clenched as he watched Eddy's pathetic attempt at flirting. How could that worm think he had any chance with Darling?

"Anyway," Eddy ploughed on, puffing out his chest, "my old man's kind of a big deal. If we were friends, I could make sure nobody gets in your business." Sebastian couldn't stop himself from rolling his eyes. Of course he'd bring up his father and his mysterious business– it was a worn-out card he played far too often.

"Sorry, I don't know if I ever caught your name?" Darling asked, her brow furrowing as she studied Eddy's face. 

"Edward Burke," he replied, smirking as if he had just said something impressive. "But you can call me Eddy...Darling."

Sebastian watched in disbelief as Darling's face suddenly lit up. She was looking at Eddy with genuine interest now. Sebastian was floored. He had always thought Eddy's insinuations about his father were pathetic— why was Darling buying into it? She was sharper than that.

Eddy, evidently emboldened by her shift in demeanour, casually placed his arm along the back of the sofa behind her. Sebastian felt his nails start to bite into his palms as he clenched them into fists. He'd explicitly told him to keep away from her, hadn't he? Every instinct in his body was screaming to go teach the prat a lesson for this blatant show of disrespect, but he schooled himself. He couldn't risk irritating Darling further.