Chapter 2 - Making First Impressions

As soon as she stepped out of her dormitory the next morning, Maggie noticed that the harp was still playing the same melody it had been when she arrived the evening prior. She hoped to hell it wasn't stuck on this one song. As people spotted her on the steps conversations erupted, several individuals with newspapers pointed her out and nudged their companions.. Apparently her tardiness last night had been newsworthy—or at least the death of Mr. Osric had been.

Thinking it best to introduce herself to more of her classmates, she glanced around and saw somebody she recognized - the same boy who was reading by the fireplace last night, one of the few people not currently gawking at her. He was now pacing nose in a book and looking more irritable with each line he read. Her lips curled, and she made to go bother this grumpy swot.

***

Sebastian Sallow was indeed becoming more and more irritable with each line he read. He had stayed up late for nothing and he was losing hope that this damn book would provide anything useful.

He wanted to skip class and go to the library, but he had promised Anne. She accepted his commitment to find a cure for her but insisted that he still attend classes and do his usual 'extracurriculars'.

"I wanna hear about Crossed Wands," she had pleaded. He understood, but this was much more important than a silly duelling club. But...if he missed out on her account, it would only make her feel worse.

He had morning classes, giving him time to go to the library after. He hoped it would be busy enough he could slip into the restricted section for something more useful than the dreck he'd found so far.

Skimming over yet another useless passage he noticed a girl approaching, and felt annoyed. He didn't have time for such nonsense this year. He snapped the book shut abruptly.

"Can I help you?" He didn't disguise his irritation, wanting to end the conversation quickly.

He was startled.

The pair of large hazel eyes had widened not with shock, embarrassment or even offence but... amusement. As if she found his rudeness rather funny.

He knew her face—he had seen it fight not to laugh under the sorting hat. Her entrance had been memorable; an intriguing smirk, expressive eyes, and tattoos that added an element of mystery. It was obvious that she had relied on her good looks for most of her life. He was sure she had much to learn, especially in this House. Much too sure of herself.

He was, however, curious about the dragon attack they said caused her late arrival. Surely, just a moment of exploration wouldn't hurt.

"Ah, you're the new fifth year." He said changing tactics. "I'm Sebastian Sallow."

She quirked a smile. "Darling" she said casually.

He stared at her, bemused.

"Maggie Darling" she elaborated.

He suppressed his laughter. Of course she'd have a name like that. And was that a hint of an American accent? Curious.

"Not everyone has a ministry escort to school," he remarked.

"He was a friend of Professor Fig's," she shrugged.

"Still impressive. Dreadful way to go, poor fellow," he added quickly.

She shrugged and tilted her head as she replied, "I dunno. It was exhilarating! I'd much rather go out like that than let myself get weak and old."

He chuckled. "That's an interesting perspective."

Her smile faltered and her eyes widened when she realised what she'd said. He stifled a grin; this girl was an open book.

"So, how'd you manage to escape?" he asked smoothly.