Chapter 20 - Broken Families

Maggie was lounging on her favourite plush velvet chaise in the Room of Requirement. This place had become a bit of a haven since the excursion to the mine. She had initially only used the space to tend plants and brew potions but now it offered an escape from the frustratingly curious eyes of her fellow students, especially Sebastian.

In recent weeks she'd transformed the room into the perfect sanctuary, equipped with everything she could ever need to stay sharp. Whole new sections had been added to accommodate potions stations and potting tables, while shelves overflowed with books on every practical topic imaginable.

Deek had become an invaluable partner. He had provided her with an enchanted nab sack for rescuing creature's from Rookwood's poaching crews around the valley. The room had answered with four enchanted vivariums to house these creatures along with Highwing in their respective habitats. Unicorns pranced through fields while diricawls frolicked along a beach. She even had a small family of thestrals grazing in a swamp vivarium. The skeletal horses tugged at her heartstrings, conjuring memories of three sets of black wings silhouetted against the night sky. With Deek's help, Maggie had even managed to rescue a phoenix, his brilliant plumage could be spotted periodically through the greenhouse-like window nearby.

Her fingers traced the delicate embroidery on her blouse, magically enhanced by the sheddings of her creatures. The room itself had provided her with a magical loom, allowing her to design and create clothing that reflected her personality and style while offering magical protections. Comfortable furniture adorned with rich fabrics filled the space, while treasures from her adventures decorated every corner.

Maggie couldn't help but feel a deep sense of kinship with Deek as she learned more about his past. His sad, expressive eyes revealed the pain and regret he carried with him from his previous life. She had recently acquired her own shop in the village that had come with a house elf. Maggie had given Penny her freedom without hesitation and offered her an equal partnership running the shop instead. Maggie wished she could free Deek as well, but alas he was in servitude to the school.

For that reason, Maggie understood that it wasn't Deek's choice to report her activities to Professor Weasley, but it wasn't a problem. When she needed true privacy, she could go to the grotto. There she was free to pore over treasure maps, plan thrilling adventures, and experiment with the secret silver trinket which now, Jackdaw alone knew about. He'd become her closest confidant and the only being at Hogwarts with whom she could be her whole, unfiltered self. Not only did he have no judgement for her, but his friendship provided a unique kind of security. No matter what, he would always be around.

"Miss Darling," Deek squeaked softly behind her, pulling her from her thoughts. "Deek has noticed Miss Darling's been spending an awful lot of time here lately... Is something wrong?"

She rolled over, smiling warmly at the elf. "Just needed some peace and quiet, Deek," she assured him. Despite her words, the elf's hands continued to anxiously twist in the tablecloth he wore as a toga.

"That's good..." he nodded before looking back up at her timidly. "Miss Darling... might... might Deek ask Miss Darling a favour?"

"Of course!" Maggie exclaimed, sitting up to give him her full attention. "What do you need?"

"Miss Darling, Deek's dear friend Tobbs has stopped returning Deek's letters," he explained, wringing his hands together nervously. "Tobbs used to serve Deek's old master with Deek. Tobbs ended up with another master who makes him collect leech juice in a cave near here. The master won't let him leave the cave, and Deek knows the cave to be infested with spiders."

"That's awful," Maggie said angrily.

"Deek hasn't heard from Tobbs in an awfully long time," he went on. "Deek is terribly worried. Wh— Would Miss Darling be willing to—"